Breastfeeding Community
7 week old not eating enough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

7 week old not eating enough

My 7 week old daughter doesnot have any appetite for the last 8 to 10 days she was driking 3 to 4 ounces every two to three hours before and now for the last 10 days she pulls away from breast and bottle of EBM or formula and takes just 2 ounces every 3 to 4 hours that too after encouraging her to drink. She rarely cries for milk even if she cries she takes just 2 ounces per feed. She weighs 10.5 pounds and her birth weight was 7.8 pounds. I have seen her ped for this and she said this might be because of GERD and has given Zantac and now started giving her Zantac. She has n't pooped for a day now. Will that be because of her poor intake. Other than her poor appetite she seems to be normal and alert. Will there be anyother reason other than GERD for loss of appetie. I am really concerned. Please help.
hmm... I am surprised that the ped prescribed Zantac saying it "might" be GERD, especially since she doesn't really exhibit many signs of it.

She could be between growth spurts, which is why the intake has slowed. Or, it is possible she is ready for a faster flow nipple. Have you tried one? Or perhaps another shape nipple. We had to go through over a dozen bottle and nipple types before finding one that worked. My daughter did have some feeding issues, but I have heard that many babies can be particular about nipple flow and shape.

Did the ped suggest techniques to help if it is a problem with reflux? Such as feeding smaller more frequent feeds (which she seems to be doing) or feeding in a more upright position?

2 oz every 3 to 4 hours is a bit low, and I am glad you consulted your pediatrician about it. You may also want to consult a lactation consultant, who was actually more helpful and knowledgable about infant feeding when my daughter had problems. The pooping thing can be normal- as breastfed babies get older they may stop pooping so frequently. Just make sure she's wetting enough diapers.

At that age, feeding my little one was a stressful nightmare. We actually found a very effective way to get some ounces into her was feeding her when she was asleep. The reasons were different, but you may want to give it a try.

good luck and let us know how things turn out. Hopefully others will be able to chime in soon as well. Things can be slow here on the weekends.
Is 2 ounces every two hours ok for a 7 week old. Night every 4 to 5 hours so total 10 feed and she takes 18 to 20 ounce. Is this ok for a 7 week old. Her appetite is really low and I have to encourage her on every feed and some times she vomits too. She has GERD like symptoms like spitting up milk and re swallowing  an burping many times after feeding etc. Will my baby grow enough with this much feeding?
it's kinda on the low side, but babies do need much less breastmilk than formula. Every mom's milk is different, which is also something that needs to be considered.
According to kellymom, a baby her age would normally take 19-30 ounces a day.

The best way to tell if she is actually getting enough is to monitor wet diapers and weight gain. If your ped is treating for GERD, I imagine they would have no problems with you going in for more frequent weight checks to make sure she's gaining properly. If you are really concerned, you can always rent or buy a scale too. I know what it's like to obsess about a baby's weight gain. I didn't rent one last time, but I wouldn't be surprised if my paranoid self rented one this time.

At that age, my little one took an ounce for every hour between feedings and she gained very well. If she went 2 hours, she would take 2 ounces. If she went 3 hours, she would take 3. The only difference is, we didn't get the longer stretches at night. Right now, your baby's stomach is still tiny, and if she has GERD, these smaller feeds may benefit her.

If I were you, I'd keep doing what you are doing and make sure that they monitor her weight gain. If she is gaining, and her demeanor is still good, then she's probably doing OK.