Breastfeeding Community
Age to start cereal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Age to start cereal

Just wanted to see what the majority was for everyone and their children. I've heard from many people that starting at 6+ months is the best but have noticed that many people feed cereal earlier than that.
I EBF and don't know when I will start Brady. I want to see what his doctor says about it first before I start anything with him. He does actually show interest in food and will even look like he's chewing when watching us. It's cute but I still think it's too early.

QUESTION: What month was your child in when you started them on cereals?
15%
 (2) 
3rd Month
30%
 (4) 
4th Month
23%
 (3) 
5th Month
30%
 (4) 
6th Month
13 Members voted
I do not plan on doing rice cereal there is no nutritional benefits to it.
I did rice/cereal for maybe 3 days and stopped. Too bland and she hated it. I introduced her to baby foods for maybe a total of 3 weeks when she was 4 months, but we've stopped them and will probably try them again later when she's older.
Every child is different, with our son we were told by the dr at 3 months that we can start solids (and that he also agreed he needed them).  He was eating up to 8 oz bottles and still acting hungry at times.  With our girl (4 months) her dr said that between 4 and 6 months many babies start to show signs and are ready and our girl is just starting to show signs (thus we will be starting them this week).  If your child is showing interest in foods, not feeling full after eating, and no longer sleeping as long as they were before then they might be ready.  Remember though, that food before a year is typically just to get the child ready to eat solids an in some cases it'll help fill up the little one.
I didn't do rice cereal. I exclusively breastfed for almost six months and then started my daughter on pureed carrot, and thrn slowly introduced other veggies such as parnsip, sweet potato etc
I didn't do cereal. They hated it. I didn't do baby foods either, for the same reason. Waited 6+ months and slowly introduced table foods but really didn't do that much until about 8 months as I EBF and that was enough.
I waited with my son till he was 6 months and then he would not he any baby food or cereal. He did not want solids till he was 9 months. Saoirse was 5 months. She loves her cereal and squash but not wanting her other veg or fruit baby food. At 6 months I am now giving her yoghurt which she loves, and fruit in mesh bags so she can suck on them.( you can also do soft veg in these. I highly recommend them,but not till 6 months.)  
I agree that it depends on the baby. my youngest is 6 months and I started her on food at 5 months, because she was showing a lot of interest and because I was EBF and she was not gaining very much with plenty of breastmilk. My oldest was 3 or 4 months, his pediatrician told me he was eatting to much formula (8, 8oz bottles a day) and needed to start food. my other 2 kid's were about 5 1/2 months.  
I started Braeden on cereal at around 5 months, but we used Oatmeal instead of rice cereal after the first few days because the rice cereal made him constipated. I used just breastmilk in it for the first few days, and then started mixing fruits/veggies into it.  He loved it, and was definitely ready at a little over 5 months.
With all the studies coming out showing the risks to adding it before 6 months, including many I am dealing with my oldest son, whom I was told to add solids at 4 mos with, it is not worth the risk. He is overweight and asthmatic with allergies. Yet my boys who did not get solids early have none of the same issues.

Our pediatrician said to start rice cereal at 6 mos.  The cereal is fortified with iron and at this age that's what babies need.  I just posted a question about starting solids on the Maternal and Child forum...
The APA and WHO all recommend not starting any food until after 6 months. Babies gut does not close until then and they do not have the stomach enzymes to digest what you are putting in. It is better for the baby tissue the 6 months. In fact, if you are exclusively bfing, you don't need to introduce food until 1 yr old. Breastmilk is perfect just the way it is.  
Is cereal actually necessary?
It isn't necessary but there are some advantages which make it an 'ideal' first food.
It is easy to digest and mild on babies tummies and you can use breast milk or the babies formula with it. The one major change is that the baby just has a change in texture and not taste. But the disadvantage is that it can be constipating.

Here in Germany, my paediatrician recommended EBF for six months and then onto pureed veggies such as carrot, avocado, sweet potato or parsnip. Rice cereal was never recommended.
There is little nutritional benefit just the iron if it is fortified but otherwise nothing but constipating. But like it was said it has very low risk of allergic reaction, mild taste, can be mixed with breastmilk and easy to digest.
I think the cereal business is just a habit carried forward. I started my babies on soft custard made of cow's milk, egg yolk and a little honey (having first introduced cow's milk and honey). It is very nutritious and babies like it. Then I went on to mashed banana. I particularly wanted the baby to get used to cow's milk (1) in the event I lost my milk and (2) so that weaning would not be problematic. I know that pediatricians do not recommend eggs because the occasional child is allergic. But if you are a careful and observant mother you only introduce the smallest quantity of anything and are alert to reactions. I fed my puppies eggs and I think all dog owners do. It is an excellent food for young creatures.
We started oatmeal then brown rice cereals at 4 months old - it helped him waking once per night instead of twice. He has always loved it, we always give it to him at the beginning of the evening, it's a signal to him that bedtime is coming soon.

Allmymarbles: honey is not recommended for babies less than 1 year old because of potential botulism
I am aware of that, but honey is cooked for a soft custard. And, by the way, if honey commonly caused botulism then a good part of the adult population would be infected, not just babies. I suspect that there is not much validity in this warning. Our family consumes honey routinely, and that is raw honey.
Adults can fight off many infections much easier than babies can.

I didn't do cereal or purees.  I EBF for 6 months and slowly added finger foods, as she was sitting and grasping. It is believed that the digestive system matures for food around the same time babies are sitting and developing the pincher grasp.  

When I posted this I was planning on not starting anything until 6 months. Brady is 4 months and I've started to give him a little bit of cereal because I've found him to be overly hungry but not too partial to the breast at the same time. I didn't know whether my supply was dwindling but it hasn't. I actually have an oversupply. He's been doing great and is actually having more bowel movements than he has been for the first few months. He's been doing great on it and at the same time I'm finding that he might just be lactose intolerant but the cereal is working for him. (I also find it an easier way to give him his probiotics as well, I just add it into his cereal. I also mix it with my milk so it has some nutritional value as well)

I think all babies are different and I think all of us mommies know what's best for our little ones whether it be starting them out at 4 months or waiting up till they are a year.
EBF until at least 6 months, then adding veggies and fruits and meats as she shows interest.  cereal makes no sense to me as a first food nutritionally, so we aren't going that route.
I have 3 month old twins and started giving them cereal at 1  month old.... My baby boy is vomiting a lot so the pediatrician told me to add cereal to the breast milk and that it should help... it did but they both like it a lot so i just continue giving it to them.
You know I gotta say start at 6 months, but I started my daughter at 4. I wish I would have waited. I don't know if the rules where different when I had my daughter, or if I was misinformed. I now know I will have to wait 6 for my son when he arrives. Whatever decision you make, I wish you the best of luck w/ the feedings.
My son is almost 10 weeks old and he is eating oatmeal baby cereal, stage one bananas and carrots...I plan to introduce a new food every 4-5 days ...next is pears and then apples. He is still breastfeeding of course but is not satisfied all the time and he wasnt sleeping solid anymore, so I took a friend's advice and introduced bananas first then the cereal and now carrots. I feed him once in the morning and once in the evening. Every baby is different. He is doing great with it. Opens his mouth for the spoon and all. I am not one to listen to what everybody else says is "normal". You baby will let you know when he/she is ready
In general, you cannot find credible medical sources that would support starting a baby on solids that young. A 10 week old seems insatiable because their brains and bodies are growing at an astronomical rate. While there may be enough sugars and starch in baby food to fill a baby's belly, those calories do not contain the essential fats and nutrients that are found in breastmilk and formula. I could feed my preschooler plain pasta at every meal, and she would be happy as a clam. But I certainly wouldn't be meeting her nutritional needs.
as I stated I am still breastfeeding my son, which is his main source of food. I only give him a jar once in the morning and once in the evening...I'm sorry if I was not clear on that. I am not substituting breast feeding with solid food nor do I recommend to any parent to do that...even after he has his jar he still breastfeeds afterwards to ensure that his nutritional needs are met. My parents and their parents use to start their children way younger than parents do now. I know plenty of parents who started introducing solids as earlier as 3 weeks, some have even been giving cereal since birth and all their babies are very healthy. somethings do need to be felt out as again every baby is different. Most medical sources also recommend vaccines as well as the consumption of fluoride but there are also credible medical resources that explain why both can be toxic if not deadly. Each parent most do what they feel is best for their child, which is all I am doing for mine :)
Our pediatrician told us for my EBF kids not before 6 months.