Breastfeeding Community
Am I likely to dry up again?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Am I likely to dry up again?

I am having a baby in May and planning on breastfeeding. When I was breastfeeding my 3 year old I got sick and dried up when he was 6 weeks old. I get colds all the time from allergies. Is it likely to happen again? I'd just like to get an idea so I can prepare myself if I possibly need to change to formula.
If you get colds, easily, and they cause you to dry up easily, I would definitely say your breast milk may not last long. Consider formula! Good luck
Every baby/pregnancy is different. I only fed my first son breast milk for 6 weeks too but my second nursed for 10 1/2 months and my third is 1 in 12 days I have just started weaning her and have introduced a little formula now but she still nurses two to three times a day.
With a history of cold's and allergies the important thing is to make sure you stay really hydrated and that you prepare by talking to your doctor about wanting to breastfeed and making sure any medications you might take for your allergies are suitable for breast feeding mothers and are not going to dry up your supply.
I'd say give it a go, if you have to supplement or even switch to formula full time down the road you will have given your baby a good start with even just a few weeks or days with breast milk. Good luck!
If you took decongestants for your cold, then that's why you dried up. I was warned when I had my son that I couldn't take anything for my cold if I wanted to breastfeed him. I used fenugreek to dry up the mucus and also put a drop or two of my breast milk in each nostril. Sounds weird and gross, but it worked and cut the time of my cold in half.
Also try a Neti pot for a cold with sinus issues. When I've been pregnant and nursing and had a cold, I've used a Neti pot and not had to take medication.  This last round I bought a Neti pot form Target and it came with a solution that apparently is magic. I used it twice and the sinus/cold issue went away in a flash.  I like it b/c it's a non-medicinal way to treat a cold.  Best of luck!
I personally have had colds while breastfeeding and OTC medications have never affected my breast milk in terms of my supply going down.  I have never been told not to take anything for them either.  But everyone is different.  And illness alone can affect supply, as can your periods, once those start back up again.  However, normally after a period, your supply will go back to where it was.  I agree that I would def try to stay healthy.  Be very diligent about continuing to take your prenatals and also maybe consider taking some additional vitamin C.  I have a TON of sinus issues so I know how it is and taking the additional vitamins and trying to eat lots of fruits and veggies is what I do.