Breastfeeding Community
BABY FALLS ASLEEP
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

BABY FALLS ASLEEP

MY WIFE IS BREASTFEEDING AND OUR BABY WONT STAY AWAKE,  HE STOPS SUCKING AFTER 5-7 *****, WE TRIED TALKING, STRETCHING, ETC
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
Try stripping the baby down to a diaper and stimulate him by tickling his feet or stroking him with a damp washcloth.
Blank
480331_tn?1310407129
What AndiJ78 said is what is recommended, but doesn't always work.  This happens to me on occassion with my baby girl, and I could light off fireworks put her in ice water or strip her naked and she won't wake to eat (I don't really do that : ) I'm just saying, when a baby is sleepy and wants to sleep, it's sometimes impossible to get them to feed.  Try feeding him/her when they are awake or in between their siestas to make sure they are getting an adequate amount of milk.  Good luck!
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
how old is the baby? if he is a newborn, it is very important to try as much as possible to keep him awake. Babies that are only a few days, or even a couple of weeks old, can easily get jaundiced if they don't eat enough. The more jaundiced they get, the sleepier they get.

for a newborn- like andi said, a damp wash cloth, making them chilly by stripping them down, tickling feet can help. i found that if i stroked her chin or cheek as she was slowing it would rouse her enough to suck a little more- i just had to do it before she went into a deep sleep.

if it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep him up, and you feel he may not be getting enough, be sure to contact your ped to have him weighed. make note of how many wet/dirty diapers there are.

it wonderful that you are inquiring for your wife. the first few weeks are exceptionally overwhelming for a nursing mom, and a supportive, helpful husband can make all the difference in the world.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...