Breastfeeding Community
Baby is sick

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Baby is sick

My LO has a bad chest cold (something I was hoping breastfeeding would keep him from getting) but he is having a terrible time breathing very raspy cry and cough.  He was coughing up green mucus this morning and trying to spit it out.  I am a bit concerned so I am going to call Ped. tomorrow for an appt.  I dont want a respiratory infection to develop.  I have done the vaporizer, steam bath, saline solution up the nose.  I am concerned because he gags himself all the time.  He coughs until he gags and can't breath.  Scares me to death.  I watched him sleep all night last night and had to lift him out of bed a couple times to help him breath.  

My other concern is he won't eat very well.  He will nurse for maybe 2 minutes and then pull away.  He didn't even want to nurse this morning I had to force him.  He at last at 10:30 last night and it was 6:30 when I finally got him out of bed to force him to nurse.  He is just not interested.  Should I pump today...which I have been doing since I do not want to lose my supply.  I was able to pump about 6 oz out this morning after he ate and usually I only pump about an ounce or two.  I put him back on once I pumped and he was able to suckle which soothed him a bit.  I did not pump til empty so he was at least getting a little bit while he suckled.   Should I feed him with a bottle to monitor his intake today or should I just monitor his wet diapers?  Any thoughts?  I know it is just a cold but I am new at this so bear with me.

monitor his wet diapers, don't bottle feed. Breast feeding is more comforting to him.
It is normal for their appetite to be down when sick, as  he can't suck properly when his nose is clogged.

How old is your baby?  If he is very young and you are worried about his breathing, take  him to the ER.  Better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.
Hello sorry to hear your baby is sick..I'm a mother and grandmother..if you have a hat cover his head cause of the soft spot there and put some socks on him..rock him back and forth on your lap and pat his back lightly to loosen the flem (phlegm)..and mucus...how old is he? you never said...and do both..
He is 11 weeks.  Sorry.  I can tell you are a grandmother, my mom said the same thing.  I always have a hat on him when we go anywhere and he always has socks on his feet or a sleeper on.  My mom taught me that at a young age "If your head and feet are warm the rest of you will be warm too"  She also said to use tylenol to help take the edge off even though he doesnt have a fever it will help him rest better.  Thanks for your help ladies.  I will continue to monitor and hopefully tomorrow the doc will tell me what is going on.
I wouldn't give tylenol if he doesn't have a fever.
Watch carefully for fever. The best way to take the temp is rectally. The forehead thermometers and ear ones just aren't as accurate.

When my little ones were that sick, I would place the bouncy seat in the middle of the bed between us and have them sleep inclined between us. Helped with drainage and my peace of mind. Of course, never have the bouncy seat near the edge of the bed. We only had it there when one of us was on either side of it. While he is sick, you can also have him sleep in a cradle swing. Again, it can help with drainage. Just make sure it is leaned back all the way.

When mine were that congested, I would feed them in the steamy bathroom with the hot shower running. It really seemed to help. Monitor the wet diapers rather than bottle feed- as you saw this morning it gives him comfort. I would pump to both maintain supply and to keep him from getting overwhelmed by the flow of a very full breast. Since this is hopefully a short-term problem, you probably don't have to worry about creating an oversupply by pumping. Definitely get him checked tomorrow if you don't see an improvement in symptoms.

It's disheartening to see them so sick. While breastfeeding may not prevent all illnesses, it does help make them less severe and the babies often recover faster. When mine were breastfeeding and something went around the house, the breastfeeding baby always had a milder case (if she got it) and recovered much faster. Keep up the great work! I know you must be exhausted dealing with a sick little one.
My little one is the same age and has a cold also.. she only has the snotty/congested nose- but for the last two days has only nursed, never has she wanted to take a bottle. I was told tylenol as well for the calming- but DONT over do it... They also advised the steamy shower and a humidifyer. Because she is so young- they wont do anything else for her... so we wait it out and keep her nose clear as well as keep feeding and watching the diapers.

I am sorry you have a sick baby and that his is in the chest- It's so hard to watch them at this age suffer and not be able to tell you what is wrong or where it hurts.

I have no choice but to pump while I work and she's with grandma or her dad- but she has been a bear about bottle feeding!
Could be RSV and he may need to be aspirated. My baby had his first RSV at 9 months old: he had to be aspirated every other day for a week: he was so much better after each aspiration! And they removed so much mucus! He also had to use a nebulizer to breathe better.

Take your baby to an urgent care, they will evaluate the situation!