Breastfeeding Community
Baby stopped nursing all of a sudden

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Baby stopped nursing all of a sudden

After all the breastfeeding drama I've gone through with the infections and latch problems things were working great. She would nurse and I didn't have any pain. No major problems. Then last week all she wanted was the boob all day. I was nursing her like every 2 hours. I figured it was a growth spurt. Then this week overnight she just stopped wanting to nurse. If I put a nipple near her face she screams. She wants nothing to do with it. She will scream and scream. After she skipped 3 feedings and was crying hysterical I broke down and gave her a bottle. She's been breast and bottle fed since birth, but she seemed to like the breast over the bottle.

I'm really bummed out. I'm still pumping and giving her milk for all feedings except one formula supplement. The dr said the important thing is that she gets the milk not how she gets it, but still I wish she would nurse. It's been 5 days since she nursed. Will she ever start again? I offer her the nipple at every feeding with no success.
I was in a similar situation 2 weeks ago, although the cause of my problems were probably different.With us, it has gotten to the point where we can't even hold her to feed by bottle- she HAS to be swaddled, in the swing, with the white noise going.  (It's a complicated combination of issues for us, and apparently she is "neurologically sensitive" which is why she needs the swaddle, noise and swing to eat). Not exactly conducive to nursing :(  Despite this, she does surprise me every now and then by nursing. I only offer once a day, and half the times she'll take it. Not a full session, but at least 1 big let-down, which for me is 2-3 ounces. Yesterday she actually took it while she was alert. I was shocked.

Have you tried to nurse her when she's asleep? For me, that's the only time she's almost guaranteed to take the boob. Sometimes I'll snag her from the swing while she's napping and get a session in. I do it for that stimulation and to keep her tongue trained to take the boob, so that if her issues ever resolve, she'll be able to nurse again. Or, maybe I'm just deluding myself.

You may want to take a break. The first time she went back on, I had pretty much given up. This was 5 days after the last time I had offered it. She was acting weird (well, weirder than normal), so I offered it. She shocked me. I think the constant trying was giving her negative associations. Or like I said, stick to times when she's unconscious for a bit. If it's not working anyways, it can't hurt to take a step back. I realized the constant trying was stressing both of us out.

Good luck and I hope it works somehow. I can relate. I am actually surprised at how many of us on this forum have been struggling so much with nursing. It really isn't as easy and natural for some as one would think it is. I am also impressed by the determination of the women on this forum. So many would've given up. Instead, we've got enough people to start a pumping club.
Thanks for the advice. I took a few days off from trying to get her to nurse and I guess just to torture myself I tried again tonight. She screams and thrashes her head around like I was putting dirt in her mouth. It's horrible I just want to cry when she does that. I'll try nursing her when she's asleep tonight and see what happens.
My baby is 6 weeks old and is nursed and I pump and give her 1 bottle a day. The last two days when I have been breastfeeding her she screams bloody murder. Literally the same thing that your baby does so does mine. If I put my nipple by her she screams. She acts like I'm hurting her. Shes hungry though and wants to nurse but is so hysterical I cant get her to latch on. I am near tears and broke down last nite. It is just so upseting to me that she wont nurse. Did you find a solution and is your baby nursing again? Thank you!
I wasn't able to get her to nurse day or night. Now I'm pumping 100% of the time and bottle feeding. It was pretty depressing for a few days there, but at least she's getting the milk. The hardest part is that because she doesn't nurse I'm not getting a good let down. When I talked to the LC she told me that babies that are breast and bottle fed will quit the breast at some point because it's more work. The important thing is that she gets the milk not how she gets it. It was a bummer, but what can you do. I didn't have the option to 100% breast feed because she was born too early and couldn't latch. The first thing the NICU nurses did was stick a bottle in her mouth after they got her cleaned up. I do like the option of having someone else feed her when I want to take a nap or run out for errands.