Breastfeeding Community
Baby wants to eat constantly.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Baby wants to eat constantly.

My baby girl is now 11 days old, and wants to be on the breast constantly. She seems to be hungry no matter how much she eats, and I'm not sure if my supply is low, or she hit a growth spirt and is actually just hungry. For example she will eat, lay there for 20-30 minutes and go back to rooting and doing her hunger signs. She often will fall asleep on the breast when she eats. Is it possible she's not getting enough because of that? My biggest fear is I have an inadequate milk supply and she's not eating enough, but on the rare times we give her formula she is hungry 30 minutes later as well. Is it normal for an infant to eat this often at her age? I've been told to feed on demand anytime she gives hunger cues, but others have told me not to do this because she could also just want to comfort suck. Any advice? I'm not sure what to do or think. (I also do not mind nursing her whenever she wants, so that's not a problem)
Have you had some help from a lactation specialist?  They were sure great for me.  Helped especially with the latch and making sure my son was in fact getting enough swallowed.  (I kept mistaking a clicking sound for a gulping sound.)

How many wet diapers a day is the baby having, and how many with poop?  That is usually the way to judge whether a baby is getting enough food from breastfeeding.
it is very normal for such a little baby to eat this frequently. She is probably hitting a growth spurt. These cluster feeds are normal and serve to build your supply. It is exhausting in those first few weeks, but it sounds like you are doing a good job. Her tummy is the size of a walnut, so it cannot fit much. As long as she is rooting and waking to eat; and getting plenty of wet diapers like Annie said, then she's probably OK. At this point, comfort sucking is good because that too will help build your supply. In a few weeks (or some do it sooner) you can introduce a pacifier, so I wouldn't worry too much about it becoming a bad habit yet. I assume you will have a weight check with the ped soon. That can give you the reassurance that she is getting enough.
I also agree that if you have access to one, a lactation specialist can give you help and peace of mind. Or you can contact your local LLL.
I've spoke to a couple of different LC and have been told the latch is good and that we're doing fine with that. She has an untold amount of wet diapers and 3-6+ dirty diapers a day. I found an LLL chapter close to me, so I'm going to call or visit them tomorrow and see what they say as well. She also has her ped checkup tomorrow, so I'll know if she's gaining properly. Thanks for the help and advice.
Welcome to the club! My son has always been a hungry boy who only thinks about one thing: eat, eat and eat. It was very tiring when he was younger, all I did was breastfeeding - I did not restrict him because anyway he would cry very loudly if I were preventing him from nursing. He is now 4 months old and he is still eating way more often than a regular baby, by boob or bottle.

You may want to speak to your pediatrician about a possible GERD problem. It is a common problem and babies who nurse non stop often have that problem, because food in the stomach soothes the reflux problem so they want to have food all the time. We treated our son when he was 2 months old but after 3 weeks I had not seen any results so I had stopped treating him, this was a mistake. We recently started him again on an other medication that's stronger, hopefully it will help him eat less often.

at 11 days old and with countless wet nappies and 6 poopy ones sounds like your little one is doing brilliantly.

The first few weeks baby's tummy is so small that they can't eat much.

Bear with it.  It will settle down to more of a routine soon.
My daughter was the same in the beginning, feeding on demand and constantly. As super sally said, they have small tummies so they tend to feed more. It does get better with time, hang in there.
very normal:) It is a combination of her growing stomach and groth spurts, Do NOT listen to anyone who tells you not to feed on demand as that is the only way your body will give her the milk she needs! It is a natural thing not to mess with. ANd formula feeds can make the building up your milk supply take longer. My 5th now 3 months old nursed 3-4 days every 40-60 min ( but nursed ofr 20-30 min long) out of every given week for a growth spurt. You will know more milk came in when you start leaking more:) haha what fun
Ur making enough milk hun, ur babe is going through a growth spurt. They do that around 10 days old, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 9 months. Just make sure ur eating enough nutrient-rich food and drinking plenty of water!!! Your doing a great job, give urself a pat on the back:-)