Breastfeeding Community
Babyfood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Babyfood

I know this isnt about breastfeed so i hope no one minds...Question for you mommies that have older babies or previous children..Have you ever made your own babyfood & if so was it easy/ hard? would you do it again?? Im wanting to make all my sons baby food but i work FT and would need to make some kind of initial investment (we dont have a processor or blender or anything) and want to make sure its feasable before i spend the money. I just dont like what ive heard about growth hormones and other things in baby food
I did and will. Whatever we ate baby ate. Minus any seasonings. We just added water and threw in the blender. The only things I really bought was rice cereal and a few jars of baby food in case we did a pizza night or fajitas or anything baby tummy wouldn't tolerate. Saved a fortune!!
It was so easy to do and I would do it again if I was to have another child.

Can you afford the baby bullet?

I used to use a hand blender for mine because I was a single mother and didn't have the money for anything fancy.
im thinking about getting the baby bullet or something like it..it just seems intimidating to me!
Whats in babyfood,  that's got me wondering now. Yeah u can make lots of different baby foods like Swede and mash and beans and even mango. U could use a fork for some or pick up a hand blender quite cheap also. The're freezeable also :)
yeah i read up on it a little bit. i saw you can freeze it in ice cube trays and then transfer into freezer bags there about 1oz each and a super cheap and easy way to store
I didn't no about ice cube trays but that's a good way and very easy also,  I used to just buy baby jars but the way I did it used to waste food cuz baby wouldn't eat it all and couldn't refreeze it. Thanks I'm gunna try ur way :)
Don't be intimidated by the bullet it is awesome and so easy!!! I promise you it is a good investment even a hand blender.

The foods that worked the best for me were applesauce, sweet potato, and peas. The ones that didnt work for me were meat, and green beans. However there are so many different concoctions I would do now if I was to do it again. Bananas, mango, avocado etc.

Ice cubes are an amazing way not to waste and to pull out as needed. Freeze them and then put them in freezer bags ones they are frozen. :)

Thanks for the feedback!
With my first I did make my own baby food; spent hours steaming, blending and freezing, it was healthy and he enjoyed it for the most part. Way back then (he is 9 now) it was recommended weaning started at 4 months old and puree's were necessary as baby's still have a strong gag reflex at that age. My other two (6 and almost 1) got nothing other than milk until 6 months (the current recommended age to introduce solids) when I started with a little baby oatmeal cereal once a day, after a couple of weeks I started introducing a little mashed fruit and veggies (that I was cooking for us anyway) but as they were older roughly mashing with a fork was sufficient, no need to blend or puree. By seven/eight months both were eating small pieces of soft veggies, fruit, bread, rice crackers, toast and some chicken and ham, cut up small enough for them to pick up and feed themselves. I was spoon feeding my first for a long time (until he was well over a year old), the other two have fed themselves since 8 months old (apart from cereal which I helped them with with a spoon).