Breastfeeding Community
Breast feeding effecting ovulation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breast feeding effecting ovulation?

DH and I have been trying to conceive for 4 months with no luck. Last month I weaned my daughter from the breast and this will be the first full cycle without nursing. I had suspicions in the past that maybe the breast feeding was suppressing my estrogen levels, but I really can't say for sure. I've been having regular periods for over a year now.

How can I tell if I'm ovulating and when should I ask a doctor about it? I just turned 30 this fall if that makes a difference. I've been using an ovulation kit, but the results are kind of ambiguous. That is, I get a dark line around the time I'm theoretically going to ovulate, but it's never darker than the test line. It's also always different at different times of day, and I'm never sure if I'm taking it at the right time considering how much liquid I drank, when I last pee'd, etc (sorry if TMI). It kind of feels like a waste of money, but then I kind of wonder if it's telling me that I'm not, in fact, ovulating????  Is it possible to have regular periods (like clockwork) and not ovulate? Can I attribute that to breast feeding?

I also posted this question in the TTC group, but I thought maybe people here could help me out considering the breast feeding and recent weaning aspect. Anyone else have a similar experience of regular periods but not able to conceive due to breast feeding? I'm hoping that things will get easier for us now. I'm also wondering how long it will take for my hormones to return to "normal"
I became pregnant while weaning my daughter. It depends on your body and cycles. My cycles were random & I had no idea I was even pregnant!
Yes u can have periods and not ovulate.  Or it can be that your ovulation is not strong enough is the way my fertility dr explained it to me. ( my problem was age related) and yes bf can affect it esp if you are still doing night feedings.  When I cut out night feeding with my first then I got pg with my second. (Third took longer because im older and other issues(long story lol) and had to see fertility dr) anyway short answer yes bf can affect ovulation.  Good luck.
Have you ever tried charting your BBT (Basal Body Temperature)?  This should at least confirm if you are ovulating or not.  I used Fertility Friend for that while trying to use the Natural Family Planning method for my birth control.  I also have a great article for fertility and breastfeeding.  I will find it and copy and paste it in a PM to you.  I think it will star it out if I try to do it here.