Breastfeeding Community
Breast feeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breast feeding

Is there a certain size bottle I should start buying for a newborn or infant? Ftm..
There are certain nipple sizes. The whole at the top can change depending on how old your baby is.
For a newborn its not so much the size of the bottle more the "flow" of the nipple and you want the slowest available. Most bottles come with a slow flow nipple included when you buy them new.
As for the size of the bottle there are usually two sizes a 4 to 6 ounce size and a 9 to 10 ounce size depending on the brand. I find the smaller ones a waste of money as after a couple of months most bottle fed infants drink more per feed than the capacity of the smaller bottles anyway. Smaller bottles work fine for the occasional feed for a primarily breastfed infant drinking pumped milk as most will drink maximum about 5 ounces of breast milk at a time from the bottle.
Thank you !!