Breastfeeding
So I'm breastfeeding n my princess has just turned 3 days old surely it's not normal for a baby to go 6 hours without a feed changed her nappy and she's fed for 40 minutes n gone back to sleep I'm just concerned because I thought newborn babies have to be fed every 2-4 hours not 6. Has anyone else experienced this? Xx
It can be normal. I'm personally not going to be the type to wake my child up to eat. They will let you know when they are hungry. Sometimes they just want to sleep and not eat every 2 hours, which is ok. As long as your baby is eating.
I was told until they are back to their birth weight, to feed them every 2 hours. My baby was born 8/16 and wasn't back to his birth weight yet he was gaining half an ounce a day instead of an ounce so she said to feed every 2 hours 15 min on each boob. I also read online that babies that young need to be woken up to feed or they can be dehydrated, but I need to stop reading online. I would ask the pediatrician your next appointment and if she is gaining weight they will tell you if its normal or not
Good luck :) I'm having a hard time breastfeeding still hope it gets easier.
2-3 hours is considered the norm. 6 is an awfully long time especially for breast milk. I would wake the baby up every 3 hours to eat since that is the max but most Drs want every 2. II would normally say when they're hungry they'll eat but 6 is too much, at that age babies tummy is very very small and can't hold enough to be good for 6 hours. my 19 month old doesn't even go 6 hours without eating.
Breastfed newborns should feed every 2 hours. Some babies can sleep through hunger; not every baby cries when they're hungry. My daughter barely cried her first couple of days home. Even now she doesn't cry when she's hungry and she's six months.
I was told newborns need to be woken up at least every 3 hours to breastfeed. If they sleep through it, they may maintain their weight or have enough energy to sleep, but won't have the energy needed to grow properly. My daughter preferred feeding every 3 to four hours the first few days after birth. Now at two weeks, she feeds about every 1 to 3 hours when awake and still about 3 to 4 when sleeping, even if I have to wake her. But she's also grown past her birth weight and is having normal wet and soiled diapers. So I don't feel the need to worry about her not getting enough to eat.