Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding Mommies: Why did you decide to breatfeed your baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

I am asking this question because I am still deciding whether to breastfeed my son or not. He is due December 10th. Thanks in advance. I honestly appreciate it.
My reasons:  
Breastfeeding is what nature intended - so it's definitely best
Health benefits to my children
Little to no cost for feeding for the first several months (I have rarely pumped, so that cost does not apply)
Reduced risk of breast cancer
Convenience!
Bonding
I was fortunate enough to be able to breastfeed
Helps in losing weight and healing from pregnancy and childbirth
Less sleep loss when needing to feed during the night

My husband's reasons:
He doesn't have to help with feeding/make bottles
My bigger breasts  ;)
Well the way I see it is that our breasts were created for one main purpose - that is to breastfed, and I wanted to try and see if it worked out and thankfully it did (we are still going strong at 14 months).

- Costs are minimal in comparison to formula
- it is readily available - no need to prepare a bottle for a hungry baby
- reduced risk of infection due to antibodies being transferred via breast milk
- Closeness and bonding between mother and child -  no one can take that away from you

Hope that helped :-)
We are still exclusively breastfeeding after over 9 months. My son has never had formula.

-It's what nature intended. Our breasts are made for this purpose.
-It greatly enhances bonding
-It boosts babies immunity so they are sick with colds and ear infections less
-Higher IQ's in children who were breastfed
-Less risk of SIDS (this is HUGE, the LIFE of your child)
-Cheaper (formula is expensive)
-Easier to digest
-Less risk of breast cancer and several other cancers
-NO period for a few months after birth (I still don't have mine and I love it!!)

Oh, I could go on and on! PS-my hubby has stated that he would love for me to continue breastfeeding forever due to the firmness and appearance of my breasts while breastfeeding ;P Just an added bonus!

Good luck with your decision, I really hope you decide to nurse your child. You can't go wrong!
I decided to breastfeed because:

-It just seemed the most natural decision I could make
-It's the healthiest choice for your baby
-It forms a bond closer than any other; I work full time so I don't get to spend weekdays with my son, but I'm still his "one and only," lol...I have no competition!

-My first son had a lot of problems with supplemental formula (he was breastfed too, but not exclusively); found out at 10 months old it was a dairy allergy. That first year was awful because he was always sickly, wheezing, and broken out in eczema. I didn't want to risk that with my youngest son, so formula was not an option unless absolutely necessary. Turns out, my youngest son has a dairy allergy also (he had a few bites of yogurt and some whipped cream) that is worse than my first son's allergy, as he breaks out in hives.

-Reduced risk of breast cancer
-Loss of baby weight faster
-Much cheaper than formula, even after the expense of a pump, storage bags, nursing bras, and accessories.

-Middle of the night feedings are easy and convenient.
-Babies usually get much chubbier on breastmilk, and who doesn't like a chubby baby with pinchable little cheeks and rolls?! ♥
-Breastfed babies have a significantly lower risk of obesity and diabetes later in childhood.
Mostly to give my son antibodies through my milk so hopefully he'll have less colds in winter. Also breastmilk is supposed to reduce future obesity and diabetes. Also less constipation problems. Heath authorities recommend to breastfeed for 6 months but any length of breastfeeding less than 6 months is also good.
for me - the reasons were similar to those listed by the other gals...  I was fortunate to be able to breast feed.  There are those that want to - try - and are for whatever reason not able to.  I wanted to breast feed b/c it's better for the baby.  There are side benefits for the mother that I was unaware of that encouraged me to keep going for so long (I breast fed my son until he was a year b/c I got pregnant again and had to stop at that point).  My metabolism was higher and I lost weight quickly and my uterus went back to a normal size quickly b/c of breast feeding.  I also wanted to do it b/c it's convient and cost effective.  Formula is expensive and we are a one income family - so I needed to consider financially what was the right decision for my family.  It made night time feedings quick and easy - with breast feeding there is no bottle to get ready and warm up with a hungry baby...  Good luck. It's a very personal decision.
My reasons:

1. It's easy. No sterilized bottles. No carting a bagful of stuff when you go visiting.
2. No getting up in the middle of the night to warm a bottle. Half asleep you pick up your crying baby and plop it in bed with you. You both fall asleep and wake up smiling.
3. Usually no health issues. No colic. No having to burp the baby usually.
4. The best nutrition in the world for your newborn.
5. I'm lazy.

P.S. It never had a bad effect on my breasts.
All of those reasons listed by the ladies are true, and they played into my ultimate reason- if I had the physical ability, I was not going to settle for giving my child less than the best. I could not justify it. Formula is OK. It is acceptable. Most kids do well on it. But since when do we strive for "OK" for our kids? Since when is acceptable a goal? For me, personally, it is not. So when nursing failed with both kids for different reasons, I had no choice but to pump. Did I go as long as I would have wanted to? No. Did I go as long as I could have? I don't know. But at some point in time, it boils down to prioritizing. For the first 6-8 months, (8-12 months if I count frozen milk), I made nourishing my kids the priority. After that point, I did have to make room for some other priorities as well.

Another way to look at it-
We tell parents to read to their children everyday from infancy to help build literacy skills and a solid foundation for lifelong learning. Some kids never get read to and turn out to be very bright and avid readers. Some kids are read to daily but may still struggle throughout school. And there's everyone in between as well. I will always choose to read to my kids daily because it is me putting forth my best efforts to give them the strongest start. I will always know I did everything I could.
About reading to your children at bedtime. I never did it. Because... if you start that ritual, you are stuck with doing it every night, whether you are in the mood or not, because they won't go to sleep without it. Pleasures were spread throughout the day without a schedule.
Daily, not necessarily bedtime :)
Several mothers have mentioned "bonding" in terms of breastfeeding. I don't think that is valid. You 'bond' with your baby whenever you hold it, talk to it, pet it - or feed it with a bottle. I am all for breastfeeding, but bonding has nothing to do with it.
You never read to your children because you would be "stuck with doing it every night"? That makes me sad. Reading at bedtime or any other time is such a wonderful, magical time of bonding and learning. The expressions on my children's faces while being read to are priceless and precious. I'm sorry you never experienced that.

Also:
A study published on July 18, 2008 at the Public Library of Science Computational Biology found that breastfeeding mobilizes more than the usual brain cells that secrete oxytocin. Breastfeeding puts dendrites to work as well to secrete oxytocin.

Oxytocin, which is also secreted during labor and sexual intercourse, is also known as the "love hormone". It increases feelings of trust, relaxation and love. It has a sedative effect. No wonder many women report feeling drowsy while breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding also fosters closeness between mother and child in other ways. It enables Mommy and baby to have more physical and skin-to-skin contact. Mothers and babies gaze into each other's eyes for extended periods of time while breastfeeding. Mothers also tend to interact in other ways with their babies when breastfeeding.

In contrast, bottle-fed babies can easily be passed on to other people to be fed -- making it easier for Mom to be separated from baby - and worse be fed without any human contact at all, through a bottle prop.
Having been around the medical profession all my life, and having been editor of two medical publications, I am here to say that lots of the studies are bogus. I always found it suspicious, for instance, that the result so often supported the hypothesis. I once caught out a famous developer of an antibiotic for fudging the results of a treatment. There is lots of money out there to fund studies. That does not make studies uniformly valid.

As for "bonding" (a newspeak word if ever I heard one), love is not measured or measurable by the latest theories of psychologists (whose theories may be out of favor in 10 years). It is an intimacy that flows between two parties. There are no rules or magic formulae. And as for reading, children read if their parents read. They read if you give them books. Yes, you read to them, but I, for one, do not the confinement of routines. I enjoy spontaneity and an easy-going environment. That would make my children different from yours. But that's OK.
why I choose breastfeed
1)convinient
2)your child take sound sleep
3)save your child from infections
4)free of
cost
that's are the main reason..I only breastfeed my baby.but the problem I face is that u never use a pump or bottle feed and recently I had a surgery she don't take bottle milk and cry all the day...
Secondly u have to take care of urself.ua can't take medicines that go in breastmilk...but breastfeed is hundreds time better than the bottle milk...because my  first daughter was on bottle feed so I feel difficulty at that time..because breastmilk is very easy to digest..and she got chest infections and many others very easily...thanks GOD second one is now eight month but she never.She also Takes sound sleep as compare to first one.and I am happy that I take the right descion at second time.breastfeed is hundered times better than the bottle feed near me for both child and for the mother also.but u also have to takecare of urself.eat food and plenty of drinks..
Congrats and I hope all goes well!  There are so many reasons to breastfeed your baby and I hope from reading all these comments you decide to do so.  It is very important to get the facts and weigh the pros and cons, so you should talk to your doctor, pediatrician and lactation specialists.  
I chose to breastfeed both of my babies for the following reasons:
It helps clean your uterus after birth
Your baby will have heightened immunity
It helps you lose the baby weight
It's convenient
It's inexpensive
It's the natural thing to do
There's increased bonding between mother and child
Your breastmilk contains all the things your baby needs to be healthy and strong

Whatever you chose, be informed and make the best decision for you and your baby.  You have to be comfortable with your choice.  If you do choose to breastfeed a breast pump is highly recommend!
As a first time breast-feeder - my first 3 were bottlefed - I can see pros and cons of both. Bottlefeeding is more convenient and much, much quicker. Babies don't tend to be lazy eaters on a bottle the way they are on the breast. Also, you don't have to watch what you eat. Plus you know exactly how much they are getting. And I don't think the bonding is greater for breastfeeding. You can stare into your baby's face while you feed them a bottle. Even when bottlefeeding, I was almost always the one to feed the baby. My kids had milk allergies and we put them on the soy based formula.  Breastfeeding is cheaper, and I think it actually increases my self-esteem. It's wonderful to know that you can do something so important for your baby. And I have lost the baby weight much more quickly this time around. Whatever you decide, it'll be the right decision for you.
I chose to breastfeed with my second child who is 5 months, because I breastfeed with my first child and saw benifits from her. She is 11 1/2 and has hardly been sick. When she is sick, it last a day and half at the most and she is right back to herself. When she was little, she was exposed to chicken pox twice before the vaccine and didn't get it. I feel very confidate that it gave her a very healthy start. I have a niece that is 2 months older than her and her mom was unable to breastfeed and she has been sick a lot more than Elizabeth and gets colds all the time. Elizabeth has had perfect attendance at school several years.

Other benifits, that I found is that it eliminates preparing bottles at night. I lost weight really fast. This time, I lost an extra 12 pound and am back to the weight I wanted to be. It is a lot cheaper than formula, even after buying a good pump and storage supplies, just by researching it. I also didn't have a period for a year with my first and haven't had one with this one yet. I really love that part.
Nah, I disagree, just because a child is read to at night doesn't mean u have to "do it" everynight. While I personally see no problem with developing a healthy habit to read to children before bed, there are many other enriching activities to do like bath and singing time, calming music and massage, etc.
Bonding has everything to do with breastfeeding and is a very important aspect of feeding ur chiold in this manner. Yes u can still bond with a formula fed infant during bottle feedings but it is definetely not the same. Our milk we feed our young comes from our breast and our young suckle on us making feeding times very intimate and close on a level bottloe feeding can never have. No offense to those who bottle feed!!