Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding after bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breastfeeding after bottle

Our sweet baby boy, Drake Alan was born 3/31 at a whopping 9lbs! At 20 hours of life he spit up bile and was rushed to the NICU for testing. They tested for a blockage or twisted bowels. Everything came back normal and he is doing great now!

While in the NICU I breastfed what little milk I was making and we had to supplement with formula. They had to test that he was pooping ok. Well, now I'm having a hard time getting him to latch again. He first latched an hour after birth which was wonderful.

Any tips to get him to latch after he's gotten used to the bottle and nipple? I'm pumping and feeding him what I can. My milk doesn't seem to have come in all the way.

I have an appt with the lactation consultant next week. It's the same gal that helped me in the hospital.

Thanks!
My dd was born 3/30 and also spent time in the Special care unit. I hhad to give her pumped breastmilk in a bottle b/c she was on oxygen at first. After about 12 hours i was able to nurse her . What really helps me with her latch is a plastic nipple sheild. They gave it to me in the hospital but said u can get them @ the pharmacy, too. It is mainly b/c my nipples r a little invw
*inverted. Also helps prevent soreness. Might be worth a try!
Try always to put him to the breast first. If possible don't give him the bottle (or other artificial nipple such as a soother) at all. If he needs a bit more milk after nursing you could cup or spoon feed him a little milk. This way he will use your breast to satisfy his need to suckle not the artificial nipples. Pump for a few minutes after feeding him to encourage your milk to come in.
Good luck!!
Congratulations on your baby boy! I feel honored to share my birthday w/ him. 03/31 :)
It sounds like things were a bit “shaken up” after delivery. Your son is trying to figure out what in the world to do and what’s going on.

I’m sorry you had so much happen after delivery, but I’m very happy to hear things are going better now.

How would you feel about recreating the birth experience and giving your baby another chance to learn your breasts?

To do this, you’d want to start in a quite calm atmosphere. Become totally relaxed. Disrobe from the waist up, and take baby down to dry diaper. Place your son on your chest and leave him there when he is in a light sleep (REM) or whenever he is in a quite alert stage.  That’s it. Lay there and relax. Let your son have the opportunity to find your breast. As tempting as it is, we must not help. It’s like a little chick, they need to hatch from the shell themselves. Let your baby do the “breast crawl” (google-“breast crawl”) and self attach. Even if your baby doesn’t attach after a couple of hours, you will have succeeded at hormone exchanges that will encourage latch the next time around. Your son needs skin to skin often. If he isn’t removing the milk, try hand expressing or pumping after skin to skin sessions.
Let us know how it goes sister.
Great advice mature!!
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm still having a hard time having him latch even with the nipple guard. It's been 13 days since he was born and milk supply is not increasing. I'm only getting around 10-15ml each pump. I give him what I have and supplement with formula. I REALLY want to make this work. I'm taking a herbal supplement from Whole Foods- hope that helps too!

how often are you pumping? my little one was a champ fir the first day but wasnt too interested in nursing the second day in hospital... his jandice levels went up so i also had to supplement with formula. the lactation nurse in the hospital basicall stayed with me all that second night helping me to get him to latch back on to the breast. we started out pumping and got a few ml of colostrum and he took that via bottle but the rest of the night i strictly offered him the breast first and kept at it for about 20 mins if no latch i would give a bottle let him get a couple ***** of the formula and offer breast again... after a few tries he latched again it took about a day of doing this to get hto latch every time.... just keep trying and dont give up... also how often do you pump? even if you cant get him to latch you can try to pump every two hours to stimulate your milk production you may only get a little at a time at first but keep it up and it should help get your supply up. good luck and i hope it works out for you
If you are pumping to increase supply I would
Recommend a Medela pump in style advance or a hospital grade pump rented from a hospital or lactation consultant. These pumps  remove your milk closest to how your baby would remove the milk which will help increase your supply.

Hello again Jennifer.
I'm sorry things still aren't working out. Let's get to the bottom of this sister. We're here to support you and help you make this work.

Can you tell us why are you using a nipple guard/shield?
*These may also inhibit milk supply.
Hi- thanks for checking in mature_enough. I'm still hanging in here with the pumping. The nipple guard was recommended from the LC to get him to latch. I ditched that the same day! It kept falling off. My milk supply is still low. I'm trying anything I can (hospital pump instead of mine, herbal supplements, pumping more often, etc.)

I'm happy he is getting breast milk regardless and sad that he doesn't have interest in latching anymore. I've talked to his pediatrician and she said that I'm greatly helping him by giving him whatever I can get from pumping. I want to give him the best to help build his immune system!