Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding and alcohol intake

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breastfeeding and alcohol intake

How much is too much when drinking wine whilst breastfeeding? How much should be a maximum amount in one night? Does it have as much affect on the baby? My sisters 7 week old son seems to sleep better after she has had a few glasses of wine, can this be causing affects on him??
I believe its one 8 oz glass occasionally. As long as alcohol is in the mothers bloodstream its in the milk so pump and dump will not work.  You have to wait till your blood alcohol content to go down.  If you" must" drink more than 1 glass you should find an alternate method of feeding such as formula or pumped milk.  And yes your sister drinking several glasses has an effect on her baby.
My lactiation consulant has a sign stating: for every 'normal' glass of wine 4oz or beer 12oz you must wait 1.5hrs before nursing or pumping.

The rule of thumb is like drinking and driving- if you're impared you shouldnt be nursing.
It would definitely be having an effect on him. Like the other ladies said, your friend should wait to nurse or pump so it's not in her breastmilk.
I was told one beverage so 1 shot, one beer or one glass of wine was ok but try and BF first then have your drink. If you are drunk your breastmilk is too (if you know what I mean). So several glasses of wine is not appropriate nor is it safe it can cause the baby to have a seizure
I read that as long as you don't feel intoxicated your milk is is fine.. cause that means its out of your system
It is definately having an effect on him. Has she talked to a lactation consultant? A few glasses can harm the baby as mentioned above.
Hi Lara, you are a good mom for checking into this controversial subject.
As you know, drinking alcohol is not a contraindication to breastfeeding. The AAP considers alcohol consumption compatible, although side affects are noted if alcohol is taken in large amounts. It’s sometimes tough for me to sit in my office and tell moms about all of these “RULES” to breastfeeding after they endured 9 months of “don’t do this, don’t drink that , don’t eat this” ect. Ect. Ect.

If a mom is going to drink in large amounts I believe she should pump and dump the whole time she is waiting for it to get out of her system. (to maintain milk supply, and especially since alcohol can inhibit your supply since you can become dehydrated) While she is waiting, she could give the baby milk that she has stored up. After the time passes, breastfeeding can be safely resumed.

According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book distributed by LLI, Alcohol passes freely into the mother milk and has been found to peek about 30 to 60 minutes after consumption, and 60-90 minutes w/ food (Lawton 1985). Alcohol also passes freely out of a mother’s milk and her system. It takes a 120 pound woman about 2-3 hours to eliminate from her body the alcohol in one serving of beer or wine (Schulte 1995).

However the more alcohol that is consumed, the longer it take for it to be eliminated. It takes up to 13 hours for a 120 pound woman to eliminate the alcohol from one high-alcohol drink. The effects of alcohol on the breastfeeding are directly related to the amount the mother consumes.

I hope this helps. Don’t let breastfeeding be restricting. If women are too hard on themselves, they may only give up. You’re doing the best thing for your baby by breastfeeding. Of course, I am not encouraging drinking, as I wish everyone the healthiest lifestyles in turn for a healthy life, but that is another reason I am so quick to say “don’t be so hard on yourself” because breastmilk is the healthiest for your baby. (in your sister's case, even if it’s from the freezer)