Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding baby stool issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breastfeeding baby stool issues

I have an 11 year old who has had stool issues for the past 5 weeks. His stools have been like dark green/stinky water. He has about 3 or 4 a day. Sometimes he has bright green stools, which are from foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I have been pumping, which seems to reduce the bright green stools, but the dark green stools continue. The stools usually have alot of mucus in them. I eliminated cow's milk protein about 3 weeks ago and soy about 2 weeks ago. For the past 3 days I have been on a very strict diet, eating only turkey, potatoes, pears, squash and rice. It seems like the stools are not mucusy, but they are still like dark green/stinky water. My son is exclusively breastfed. What could be causing these stools?
Sorry, he is 11 weeks old, not 11 years.
I've always been told that it's not unusual for breastfed babies to have mucusy stools...If it concerns you, contact a lactation specialist who can show you a chart of what is normal and what isn't.
Dark green and watery stools are normal. I'm pretty sure mucous in the stool is not and a sign of an allergy or intolerance. Since the mucous disappeared when you eliminated foods from your diet, it is very possible that something you eliminated is the culprit. If you are tired of such a restricted diet, you can slowly start reintroducing some foods, watching to make sure symptoms don't return.

A few thoughts and questions-
Is he gaining properly? Have his eating habits changed? Is there a family history of allergies or intolerances to foods like dairy, gluten, soy, etc?
If it's not an allergy or intolerance, it's possible he's recovering from a stomach bug. My toddler had mucousy stools for weeks. The first thing they did was do a culture. Even though she seemed perfectly fine other than the stools, the pediatrician said that sometimes it takes them weeks to return to normal. He had us eliminate dairy for 2 weeks just to give her system a chance to recover. Same thing happened when she was 10 months old and had a stomach bug. They had us switch to lactose free formula for 2 weeks to give her system a chance to recover.
So the stools still have a lot of mucus. A culture is a good idea. Thanks!
Culture is a starting point because that's easiest. Elimination diets are hard because you have to eliminate all dairy, and it is hidden in many foods under different names. He is still too young to do allergy testing. My babys gastro did it at 6 months and said it can't be done accurately beforehand. Culture would also tell if there is blood in the stools. And I am sure a pediatrician would want to weigh him and do an exam to make sure everything is Ok. Keep us updated!
Almost forgot to mention that you need to eliminate dairy for a full 2 weeks to determine what her or not he has an allergy to it.