Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breastfeeding during pregnancy

Hi all,
My daughter is 22 months.  She is still night nursing, and not showing any signs of being ready to stop anytime soon.  I am 5 weeks pregnant, and I know many women continue to nurse while pregnant.  If anyone has, have you noticed the cramping is worse than other pregnancies where you haven't been nursing?  Has the older child weaned themselves at that point, maybe due to change in supply or taste?

I am just worried she won't wean long enough before the new baby comes and she'll have a fit to start nursing again when the baby nurses.  I really don't see myself tandem nursing, although I'll do what I have to.  Has anyone tandem nursed a newborn and a toddler?

Thanks!
Reach out to a user here named mature_enough. She's tandem nursing
I was going to say the same thing.. but last night the site was down.
Thanks.  It's not that I don't want to tandem nurse, but as it is my left side doesn't produce for whatever reason, through 2 babies...so I am worried that if I nurse my toddler I'll be depriving the baby.  She will be 2 1/2 so I am hoping she'll wean herself before then and it won't be a worry for me.  No matter what I try I could hardly ever get my left to produce.

I was / am willing to tandem nurse, but my milk has just dried up (I am 18 weeks pg), my daughter is 2 and 9 months.  She wasn't ready to stop, but she had no choice.  I told her that the milk is for the new baby, which is why there is none left.  She has accepted that.

When tandem nursing, the new baby gets to nurse first so it get's plenty. It's also a game of supply and demand so the extra nursing from your oldest (if she's still nursing by then) could actually help boost the supply.

No problem to continue nursing while pregnant.  And it may just come to a natural end (as mine has) in a few months.

Best wisehs
Thank you Logi.
Thank you Caralea.
:) It's so great to hear that your thought of me.

Mikaleen,
     I think it is amazing that you are breastfeeding your 22 month old, and congratulations on your new pregnancy! You are an awesome mom for weighing out your decisions. Since you are obviously very aware of the benefits, imagine all of that doubled for mom! Mom burns up to 1000 calories/day (instead of 500), moms uterus shrinks back twice as fast, with two times less bleeding! (mine lasted 4 days PP), and my favorite… The toddler that doesn’t feel replaced by the new baby, but understands “sharing mom” in a true sense that a toddler can understand… literally.

To answer your question, I didn’t have more cramping in my abdominal area, but I did have much soreness on my nipples while nursing. I would definitely discuss the cramping w/ your OB and share history w/ them.

And your other question… My daughter tried to wean herself near the end of my pregnancy due to the change. She smacked her lips together because of the colostrums and said “Plek!” I tricked her into feeding at night since I was worried she would forget how to latch properly once the new baby arrived since I knew she would want to nurse when she saw him doing it. She immediately picked up nursing and now she dramatically increases my supply (which my her, my son, and myself love since I never have to worry about supply issues as I did before). She nurses about 4-8 times/ day and I don’t feel guilty or torn by spending all the nursing time with my son knowing that it is there for her as well.

I see that you are worried about supply. That is a mother’s number one concern. Luckily the more our baby/babies demand, the more milk we will make. So nursing 2 will actually only help your milk production and you will only have to worry less about how much your baby is getting. (One of my breasts produces dramatically less milk as well. I always let my toddler nurse from that side)

We are here to support your decision either way sister, and as long as you’re comfortable with breastfeeding through your pregnancy, your doctor “oks” it (no history of preterm labor), and your toddler is comfortable. We are here for you through your tandem experience or weaning.  
Thank you!  

That was what I was thinking, I'd let my toddler nurse from the left.  She already weaned herself during the day, she nurses only at night, and even the past few nights that has been less.  I haven;t had any nipple soreness, and the cramping has actually settled a little.  The Dr. had me in for an u/s to make sure there was no ectopic, which there isn't.  We did see just the 5 week tiny sac, but there was also some fluid, which the Dr. wasn't concerned with and the nurse said could cause cramping.  All I can do is wait for 3 weeks for the viability u/s.  If I start cramping a little more during a nursing session, I try to distract her away, she likes to play with my hair to sleep also.

My 6 year old weaned herself at 9 months, I never produced enough for her, no matter if we nursed for an hour with 20 minute breaks all day.  She was always very tiny and underweight, to the point she was tested for all sorts of things, allergies and metabolic, celiacs and CF.  Nothing was ever found, it was all my supply apparently.  I was happy when things went much smoother this time around.  I am hoping it will be the same again.

It's wonderful to see other woman nursing into toddlerhood, I can't tell you how many Dr.s have told me it's time to stop, I've done everything I can.  I guess they need to brush up on some recent recommendations.  It's hard to bite my tongue with them and just smile and nod, then go ahead and nurse her in front of them. =)

I have to say that my daughter is pretty aggressive, and she doesn't like sharing me with her older sister.  She pushes her off of me even when she's just giving me a hug.  I am hoping since she will be a bit older she'll be a little more open to sharing me.