Breastfeeding Community
Breastfeeding with a stomach virus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Breastfeeding with a stomach virus?

My 13 yr. old daughter had a stomach bug yesterday (vomiting & diarea (diarrhea)). I feel like I might be coming down with it :*(  Should I continue breastfeeding if I get sick or pump into a bottle for feedings? He does fine going between bottle and breast. I still have to take care of him since I'm home alone with him all day.
I've always been told to breastfeed even while you're sick because it will pass the antibodies onto the baby which should help to prevent them from getting it or at least make it last shorter. It shouldn't make a difference how it's done.
You should definitely keep breastfeeding.  As Clysta says, it passes on your antibodies to Liam and is his best defense against getting the virus himself.  You could breastfeed or pump and feed him a bottle - either is fine.  I am so jealous that he goes easily between the two.  Finn will not take a bottle and I am really stressing about my return to work in a few weeks.

I hope you can escape your daughter's virus.
Thanks ladies. I'm glad I asked because the bug got me last night. I hope Liam doesn't get it.
Ugh those stomach viruses are nasty!  Hope it goes away soon.

My dd got one when she was 3 months old.  She had never really spit up, but suddenly she was projectile vomiting.  I finally gave up trying to get her dressed and kept her swaddled in a towel with a stack of extras nearby.  I didn't want to nurse her too much, but gave her a little bit every once in a while.  Finally after about 12 miserable hours she kept some down.  48 hours after she first threw up on me, I was sick... then dh...

I read somewhere that stomach viruses are viable for two weeks, and the incubation period is 48 hours.  The virus was going around my workplace, so I stayed away for 13 days, and she got it anyway.  I hope Liam is luckier!
Thanks. I seem to be finished with the vomiting but I'm achy all over and wiped out. I was wondering what I should do if Liam ended up sick. I was thinking pedialyte. Should I avoid that and stick with breastmilk?
If he happens to get it, try to keep with the breastmilk as long as possible, and unless your ped tells you to switch to pedialyte. Since he is so young, if he does get it, I would take him to the pediatrician and they can advise you at that point. But unless a ped says to switch to anything, definitely breastfeed. Since you just had it and are still fighting it off, the milk will be extra important for him.
I have to say that I have seen first hand the HUGE difference breastmilk makes. The whole family got bad bugs, and the baby either didn't get it, or if she did, she got a much milder version. It's really amazing.