Breastfeeding Community
C-section meds and breastfeeding
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

C-section meds and breastfeeding

I've recently been told that I will need to have a c-section to deliver. I planned on breastfeeding. This is my first pregnancy, so obviously I haven't had any experience with this before. I was wondering, do they give you pain meds to control pain after a c-section? And if so, what do they give you and is it safe to breastfeed while taking them? I have had a few major surgeries a couple years back and I was always prescribed percocet, which I know you cannot take while breastfeeding. If there is nothing safe to take, I would gladly go without pain meds for the benefit of my baby, but I also know from experience how uncomfortable abdominal surgery is afterwards, so if there is something safe to take while breastfeeding, that would be great too.
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
4484425_tn?1384231934
I've had two c-sections and I can't remember what pain killer they gave me but it was safe to take while breastfeeding.
Blank
2020005_tn?1404435525
^ Same. I had a c-section with my first and breastfed immediately afterwards, I also will be having a 2nd c-section on Monday and will be breastfeeding immediately afterwards as well. They won't give you anything the baby wouldn't be fine with, actually any pain meds (general, spinal, epidural, etc) will transfer to the baby in small amounts until the baby is removed, so that's why it's done so quickly, nothing that will harm the baby! :)
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
I have had 2 sections. With the first I was given Tylenol 3 and ibuprofen. The second Tramacet and ibuprofen. All safe to breastfeed. Let the doctor/nurses know you plan to breastfeed and they will make sure you get meds that are safe for your baby.
Blank
Great! Thank you all so much for your replies!
Blank
Inhave had 2 c-sections. I was given pain meds that were considered safe. In the hospital right after, I was given Demerol and Darvocet when I went home. I think they give Vicodine too but I am allergic to this. I was also given Darvocet for migraines during pregnancy. I really tried to wean off the meds as quickly as possible but keep in mind you want to be able to function without too much pain or you won't be in good condition for mothering. After 2 c-sections my advice is to get up and move a sons as possible. After my first I was a total pansy and stayed in bed too much and healed slowly. After my second, my twins were in the NICU. I could not even see them until I was able to sit up in a wheel chair without pucking or passing out.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
2 c-sections. i received percocet and motrin and was told it was OK.
Blank
Actually, I was Percocet not Demerol for me too.
Blank
I'm about to have my second csection and the doctors gave me pain meds knowing I was breastfeeding. they know what they're doing..good luck!
Blank
You can take Percocet while breastfeeding. I work in L&D and that is what our doctors prescribe to the moms.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...