Can you increase breastmilk before birth to make sure of breastfeeding ability?
Is there a way to guarantee that a woman will breast feed her babies? Is it a matter of eating./drinking more of something ? And why won't a woman be able to breastfeed 100 percent of the time? Can it be helped then?
Breastmilk actually doesn't come in for a few days after giving birth. And my lactation consultant told me very few women can't breastfeed or don't make enough milk. You should eat a healthy diet and drink lots of fluids, but even this doesn't help for some women. There are natural ways to boost your supply like mothers milk tea and fenugreek once it has come in if you think that your supply is low, but growth spurts are easily mistaken for a low supply (as I've found out). The best way to tell if you're making enough milk and your baby is getting enough is at least 6 wet diapers a day and gaining weight good. I wouldn't stress about it until you are actually breastfeeding because it's likely you'll do just fine and have a fine supply :)
Thanks! I'm asking only because I'm quite thin at the moment  - 116 pds at 5'5 - and somehow I an very nervous about gaining all the weight I need. I'm not a big eater and nerver have been. I'm a healthy eater though, but in the back of my mind I just worry about if I don't gain enough and if that effects breastfeeding.

I recently saw a woman at a store - she had the thinnest legs and arms you could have and then in the front was this beach ball of a belly, lol. I have a feeling that is going to be me, lol. She looked as though all her weight was gained in her belly. Very strange but I guess we all are different. I just want to be able to breastfeed at least two years - my goal.
Oh, would you happen to know - in the case of twins, is breastmilk produced even moreso? What are the possibilities of breastfeeding twins without other means of milk? Is it possible?
As long as you're eating to hunger and thirst, it really doesn't matter your size, it may just be healthy for you. Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked though? You may have an overactive metabolism, or hyperthyroidism that may affect breastfeeding if not properly controlled. I have the opposite, hypothyroidism, and I'm on medicine daily for it. But certainly your weight or size doesn't have an affect on your breast milk I wouldn't think. I have a friend that had twins and since she breastfed double the babies, she had a very high supply of breast milk, but it just wasn't practical for her, she ended up switching to formula because it's hard enough with ONE baby during a growth spurt, you're literally feeding sometimes every hour or thirty minutes, two babies is wayy harder.
Oh yes, I forgot about those growths spurts! Didn't take those under consideration!

Actually I am hypo - I'm on meds for my thyroid too and I'm awaiting blood test results now. My tsh was 3.9  The doctor didnt hinder me from TTC but said he wants it stabilized. What is you're opinion - is it too high to be in the 3s when TTC? It goes up and down for me but never over 4....
For some reason my post didn't post yesterday! My doctor said between 1-2 before he'd OK me to start TTC.
Thanks again! Actually my tests came back - TSH is now at 3.53 :( Aother month of meds and blood tests....but doctor seems encouraging.
Sometimes it can take a while to adjust and get it to level out, you'll get it though!