Breastfeeding Community
Does smoking affect breast milk quality?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

I just stoped smoking after my first trimester and have not been smoking since. Iam in my 8 month and i want to breastfeed because i hear that its better for the baby. Can i still breastfeed when she is born or its not a good idea. Plus im scared that maybe i will start back up again after shes born. So i want to know is breastfeeding not possible for me, for it to be the best milk?
Yes, you can still nurse. You have quit for this long, why start again?
Breastfeeding is best for baby. And, since you seem to want what's best for your child, then quitting smoking for good is also best for both baby and yourself. Smoking will affect baby's breathing and increase risks for SIDS, plus contribute to negative health issues for both your baby and yourself. I agree with AndiJ78, you've stopped for this long. Please don't start back up again, for both your health.
You say loud and clear that you plan to start again after baby is born. If you are smoking, it is not good to nurse. Don't plan to start again. Plan to stay quit. SIDS, ear infections, asthma, etc, etc...can result if you smoke with a baby. Not to mention, the risks to yourself. You've quit this long, keep it up. It's best for you and baby lifelong.
If you do start smoking, always always always smoke outside. NEVER INDOORS. If you plan to nurse, smoke AFTER you nurse. But not smoking is the best for all involved.
Nicotine does pass into the breastmilk.  It stays in the breastmilk approximately 90 minutes after the last cigarette smoked.  It can pass to the baby and upset his/her stomach and cause other problems.  I quit after mine was born (not during unfortunately), and started up again when she was 6 months old.  I keep trying to quit again.... its very hard, wish I had never had that starter cigarette.  I still nurse, but do it before having a cigarette and mostly at night (Nadezdha is 10 months old).  We smoke outside, never in the house, and never in the car or around the baby.