Breastfeeding Community
Exclusively pumping and now decreased milk supply

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

My son will be 6 months next week. He weaned himsefl off when he was 3.5 months, 2 weeks after I returned to work due to a case of Nipple Preference, he simply seemed to like to drink out of the bottle cos it was much easier!. However, he still does not like formula and will only take breastmilk in a bollte, for the most part. I have been exclusively pumping for almost 3 months now to be able to give my son the best nutrition possible. However, for the past 4-5 days my milk supply has really gone low...I used to pump 8-9 oz in the morning and not its down to 5-6. The other pumping sessions also yeild a lower supply.. I am really worried since he will be starting daycare next week and I may not be able to keep up with his demand. How can I increase my milk suppy? I used to pump 6 times thruout the day and now added another pumping session yesterday. Could it be that my milk suppy has permanently gone low since I am pumping not breastfeeding? I would really like to continue giving him BM for another 3 months, Please help!
Tags: lactation
if you've made it this long, you should be able to continue. the xtra session should help, you can also just try making your current sessions a littl longer to stimulate supply. although it may take a few days to a week or so before you see the difference in supply. it is often recommended you "power pump" occasionally to boost supply. Basically, you mimic a growth spurt for a couple of days. Since you did nurse a few months, I'm sure you recall what the growth spurts were like- very frequent although possibly shorter pumps for a day or 2. another method is to take an hour a day for a few days to pump 10 min, rest 10 min, pump 10 min, etc... Babies naturally have these cluster feeds to boost supply- we are missing this when we pump.

a few other things can expain a drop in supply. first of all, if your period is returning the change in hormones with each cycle can cause a temporary drop. You also have to make sure you change the little round white membranes on your pump occasionally- microtears can significantly affect suction and output. Does your pump feel the same? Sometimes pumps losing some suction. If this is the case, contact medela and they'll send you a new faceplate (i've heard for free). Do you do compressions while you pump? Do you have a good pump? I assumed you have a medela...
make sure you're getting enough rest, nutrition, fluids, etc. i heard oatmeal helps and ever since i started to have a bowl every morning i did find my supply went up. may women find the herb fenugreek helps a lot too. i think you can get it at healthfood stores. there is also a mother's milk tea.

don't let anyone tell you that exclusive pumping isn't sustainable- it can be as long as you keep up good pumping habits. i know of people who continued well past a year. i stopped after 6 1/2 months only because i had too much on my plate with grad school and work. good luck and let me know if you have any questions
Thank you so much for your prompt reply!...These are some wonderful suggestions and I'll surely implement most of these. I did have the symptoms of a period a few days back but it did not actually start...so the change in hormones couldve been a factor.
Your response was very ecouraging and I feel much better now about my situation..:-) Thanks a ton!...you guys are doing a great job of helping out stressed new moms..kudos!
Staying hydrated was key for me and when my period started back my supply took a huge hit!