Breastfeeding Community
First time breast feeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

First time breast feeding

I am going to be a first time mum in June and I am wanting to solely breast feed. But how did you find your first outing with baby. I am just a little worried as if I'm out and about and the baby starts crying because it wants feeding, and I'm not in the right place to do so. Just things like that. I know I will find my own way to cope. But was it ok for you girlies?? =]. Thankyou.
I was nervous the first couple times and just made sure I had a cover up. It's so easy to get used to and you can usually always find a comfy spot.
Someone made me recieving blankets that were bigger then the standard size and they were PERFECT for breastfeeding!
Eventually I was comfortable with just sitting on a bench in the mall and feeding my son. I got a few strange looks a couple times and I would have dared someone to actually say something! LOL
Once you get the hang of feeding and figure out your baby's routine...you'll be golden!
At first I tried to plan my trips around my baby girl eating but after while I decided to be daring and breastfeed in public. First of all nobody really knows what you are doing and if they do it's usually because they once breastfed too :). Most places have laws protecting a woman's right to breastfeed. You can get a nursing cover that looks like an apron or use a blanket to cover up if that makes you more comfortable. And if you are in a store that has fitting rooms where you can try on clothes, you can always go in there to nurse. I ask all the time if I can go feed my baby and they are happy to let me :)
I made myself a special dress. Over each breast was an open circle. Then I made a large velvet bow attached to the center of the bodice. The edges of the bow snapped in place so that you could not see the open circles on the bodice. I carried a stole with me. When my baby was hungry I unsnapped one side of the bow, tucked her underneath it and wrapped my stole around us. I can remember one time I was on a transatlantic flight and the woman next to me told me how lucky I was that the baby slept the whole trip and not a peep out of her. I did not tell her that she was eating most of the time.

There was one odd result. Whenever baby was hungry she would start to chew on the velvet bow.
I have some great and fairly fashionable nursing tops I bought from Thyme Maternity, very easy to discretly breastfeedwhilst wearing one. Practice at home infront of a mirror first, you will see that nothing really shows and will help you feel more comfortable when you nurse in public places.
Nursing in public was never a problem for me..I got a lot of nasty looks though..i knew i was doing the best thing for my baby so i didnt care if it made someone else uncomfortable..i was always covered up and no one ever saw a boob but breastfeeding just makes some people uncomfortable..just know you are doing the best for your baby and dont worry about the looks that you will get...

Some of us simply don't want the attention of people we don't know. I don't want to feel like an animal in a zoo.
I was also worried too. I used to breastfeed but cover myself with a shawl, no one saw anything. Or I would go to the restrooms or if I was shopping, I went into the changing rooms! I used to feed my daughter and then go out, which is also what I have done with my newborn now.

I felt the same way sister. I guess we are all entitled to the way we feel! And it's hard to know how you're going to feel until you try it! :)
...
I'm new to this community but wanted to jump in. I say "go for it" in public. The ignorant people that stare and mumble under their breath probably have never breastfed and don't know what a natural thing it is! Too bad for them!

I can't wait to try it with my first baby in April! I hope he does well.
Great input Jennifer! Welcome to the community! :)
Breast feeding in public is not only natural but totally empowering-to thing our body can produce something to feed & nurture is simply AMAZING!!

I say let them stare-Im doing what is right for my baby! If you are worried, there're plenty of inexpensive garments available to by on the market :) Oh & go you for choosing breast feeding-its AMAZING!!

ALLMYMARBLES....... You are free to give your advice but please DO-NOT turn that into an insult. You have no right to shoot somebody down-this is a community-a supportive community which means we SUPPORT each other!

YAY to us-GREAT breast feeding mamas!!
Welcome girl!! Breastfeeding is GREAT-congrats on being pregnant-not long now!!
Thanks! I can't wait to meet our little prince. How did/do you all include daddy in the breastfeeding process? I plan to pump and bottle some so daddy can share in the feedings as well.
:)
There are many things dad can do and roles dads play. Let dad know that his role in breastfeeding is major. The attitude of the father is the most important factor on whether or not the mother begins and continues to breastfeed. Dad’s instincts are PROTECT… Let him know how breastfeeding protects your baby w/ antibodies, anti viruses, anti parasites, and anti allergies. Dad’s are teachers as well, so he will be impressed w/ the fact that babies who are breastfed look at around 11 higher IQ points since the milk has growth factors for optimal brain development…. And dads are best at teaching a baby that there is more to love than food, and that there is a world outside of mommy.
And dad can be very helpful by bringing baby to you for nighttime feedings, giving baths, changing diapers (*bonus if he cloth diapers tehe) and know that babies favorite place to nap is his warm chest.
He can also help you while you are using a pump or breastfeeding by bringing you a glass of water. You will find this very helpful since most mothers report feeling thirsty while breastfeeding. And my favorite thing to tell new dads is to give new mommy a back massage while she is breastfeeding and to ask her if she feels comfortable. The more relaxed she is, the more readily she will be able to have a “let down”/milk ejection reflex.
Congratulations on your soon to be parents!
I personally don't like nursing in public but I have done it quite a few times in the car. For the first few weeks I tried to plan my outings right after she nursed so that I didn't have to do it in public. Only once she got hungry inconveniently while we were taking a walk so I had to sit on the side of the street and use a blanket :)) not so much fun but you gotta do what you gotta do. Later on she was nursing at more regular intervals (every 3 hrs) so that we both knew when feeding time was, and that helped quite a bit not just for me but for my husband too who took over her care when I went back to work.