Breastfeeding Community
Foods during breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Foods during breastfeeding

I have a newborn baby girl, she is taking well to breastfeeding, however after every feeding she poops!  Like clockwork!!  I know it's normal for babies to pee and poop many times during the day, but I''m wondering why she's pooping so much.  I've been mindful of what I'm eating, and have been guilty with eating cheese LOVE CHEESE, and I've read that dairy is the main culprit for gas in babies....is there anything in particular I SHOULD be eating that would help with milk supply and overall taste of my milk?  I know what to avoid...spicy foods, sauce, garlic, onions, broccoli, etc..I heard that oatmeal and chicken soup are great...anything else?
she sounds normal to me!
The first 2 months, my little one also pooped about 10-12 times/day. Literally every change had poop in it. I honestly prefer that to the constipation that so many moms who formula feed report. It is also very normal for newborns to be gassy. My little one farted 24-7 the first 2 months. I even video taped a morning fart session- it's hilarious. My lactation consultant told me that newborns are so gassy because of all the tight tiny folds in the digestive tract- they make it easy for gas to get trapped. She said she would outgrow it at 2-3 months, and she did.

My LC also said that most moms can eat anything they want without it having a ngeative effect on the baby. I found this was definitely true for me- i love garlic, onions, spice, etc... and didn't change my diet. If your baby is just gassy and pooping, but not in extreme discomfort, I'd keep doing whatever you're doing. Despite being very gassy, it didn't seem like my baby was in pain. She grunted and farted all day, but never cried or strained. If your baby seems like she's in pain, then you can try eliminating certain things to see if it helps.

Congrats and keep up the good work. It really sounds like you're both doing great!
Thank you for your reply...it's good to know my baby isn't the only one that has "fart fests"  LOL  Honestly, I was starting to take it personally, that my milk was making her have poop-a-thons!  
Ditto what tbh said.  My two-week old son is esclusively breastfed, and I swear, I have never seen so many poopy diapers!! Probably 10 a day, at least.  Also, he makes quite the noise when he's doing it; embarrassing in public, Lol!
we had a quite a few incidents where the gas and the poop were combined... while changing the diaper... resulting in projectile pooping! That stuff can shoot several feet in the air! My husband called it liquid evil :) Taught him how to change a diaper very quickly though.