Breastfeeding Community
Formula causing baby to reject breastmilk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

My daughter is almost 6 weeks old and i have been stricty breastfeeding her since birth.  I have to go back to work on Monday and I plan on continuing to breastfeed as long as possible.  I am going to pump every 3 hours while I am at work, but i know that pumping isn't as effective at emptying the breast as a baby is so i am worried that i will not be able to produce enough milk for her when she starts to eat more.  I am willing to supplement formula in the future if i have to, but is it possible if i start formula that she may reject breastmilk after that?  I love breastfeeding and i just don't want to jepardize it if i still have other options such as supplements i can take to increase milk production.  Are there any formuals that you can suggest that are close to breastmilk?  Any advice is appreciated...I haven't done any research yet so i thought this was a great place to start!!  Thanks
i haven't really heard of formula causing baby to reject breastmilk, although i have heard of the baby rejecting the breast after being introduced to the bottle. I think breastmilk is supposed to be sweeter than formula, so babies tend to prefer it.

Many, many women are able to pump enough milk for the baby, so I wouldn't stress too much in advance. Plus, I have read that in many cases, the baby eats less during the day and nurses more at night when mom returns to work. With a good pump, it is very possible to meet your baby's needs.

Important factors include- a good pump, a quiet place to pump and pumping every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes or so. Trying to minimize stress, getting enough fluids, and eating properly helps a lot too.

as for formula- seems to be different for everyone. My little one wasn't picky when it came to taste- she drank breast milk or formula. However, many formulas upset her tummy when we first introduced formula. Nestle Good Start seemed to agree with her the most. After a couple of months on formula, she was able to take any brand.
When I was pumping at work I noticed if I applied pressure to my breast where the milk ducts are it helped to get more milk out.  I was able to pump at work and keep up with my baby's demand.  The first day we had enough stored milk and the next day the baby got what I had pumped at work basically.  We didn't have any problems.  Like was already mentioned - keep hydrated and stay positive!  Good luck.

it is possible to pump and work and exclusively breast feed baby.  My baby is 5 mo old now and we are going at it successfully.

My advice is breastfeed exclusively when you're home: weekends, mornings, evenings.  This will help keep milk supply up.  Pump at work at the times you'd normally feed her at home.  This can be pump or manual expression.  Sometimes i find manual expression works better than pump.  

Once baby is sleeping through the night, also do another pump when she;s already in bed.  I find I need to do this to have enough milk for the next day.

You can do it!  Congrats on your baby.