Frozen breastmilk - how to tell if its still good?
hello everyone! so my little girl is 6 months now! : )   I am still exclusively pumping (tried the breast a few times since starting the pumping/bottle feeding and it did NOT work! ha) anyhow.. I have been decreasing my pumping frequency (due to work and being exhausted mostly) and now have an infected clogged duct - OUCH! But my question is how do you know if the frozen milk is still good - it says if your storing it in a freezer (not a deep freeze) its good from 3-6 months.. well how do you know if its 3 or 6? its it just going to smell rancid?  My supply is decreasing a little and i just want to be prepared- i only want to thaw out what we are going to use since i dont want to waste, however - what if i thaw it out and then its not good. Just curious how you tell and others experiences with this. THANKS! hope all is well with everyone !: )
It is not just the smell it is also the color. If the thawed milk (which will last only about 6 months max in the freezer) has turned, it will thaw into a very watery state, not like refrigerated milk. After mixing it around with the floaties, it will no longer have the creamy beige color that breastmilk typically has. It will be grey or slightly green. And it will smell like rotten food, not sour like bad milk, although I have heard of it smelling sour as well.
It is very important that you label each serving with the time and date that you pumped it, before freezing. And to make sure that when thawing to start with the oldest serving first. This way, you can be sure not to wait too long and have a good helping of milk go bad.
good question... i'm not positive. I do know that a baby will not take spoiled milk (as per my LC). Expect thawed milk to have a slightly different smell (and i hear a slightly different taste too, although i can't bring myself to taste either).
It is definitely different after freezing, mine smelled almost soapy but baby only ever refused one bag of my frozen milk so I guess that was off. Some of mine had been in the deep freezer for 8 months.
When in doubt throw it out. It is not worth your daughter getting sick.