Headache and Drowsiness while Nursing
Hello All,

Robin was born this past Friday, 11/18/11. Vaginally...Pitocin induction. No epidural or pain meds. I am taking ibuprofen for pain (400-800mg every 6 hours as needed. I am taking 800mg 2-3 times a day)

She is nursing well. My milk came in Monday. She had a doctor appt Wednesday and she has already gained almost 2 ounces and grown 1/2 and inch. We are having some latch on problems (she consistently turns JUST as her mouth gets to my breast, messing up alignment, especially on the right side).

The biggest problem though is about 5-10 minutes into feeding I get VERY sleepy and I get a horrible headache. i don't think it is positional...hormones? Any suggestions?

She tends to fall asleep also...
Congratulations :) was waiting to hear how you went :), I dont know if anyone has menttioned this to you but you still need to keep your water intake up, everytime you breastfeed you should have a big glass of water either while your breastfeeding or after, if you can manage, have 2, this will replenish your milk and also keep you hydrated as if your not this could be the cause of your headaches., Thinking back, I always got sleepy as well when I first start to b/feed and I usually just go with it, its hard work for your body to produce milk, so if you end up by having small nanna (cat) naps while b/feeding thats ok, just make sure your breastfeedin in a secure place so it you do happen to nod off bub wont fall, you sound like your doing a wonderful job, and I'm sure the small issue of her latching on will get better, its just a case of timming, :)
oh and if you find shes falling asleep and not getting a full feed, check her nappy, burp her, anything little like that to wake her up and then offer her your other side
I remember getting an instant headache for the first couple weeks breastfeeding and I do believe it has something to do with your water intake. It could possibly be hormones too. Your body releases a lot of endorphins while breastfeeding but those are the "feel good" hormones, I guess that would probably be why you kinda get sleepy.
Oh, and my son had a difficult time with my right side as well. I tried different positions but he just wasn't as successful on that side. He still nursed but not as long on that one side.