Breastfeeding Community
How can i increase milk supply for twins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Hi all!  I have 7 weeks old twin boys. I am currently breast feeding and pumping. I feed and/or pump ever 3-4 hours. I have tried every two hours, but breast and nipples get really sore, and i dont seem to produce enough when pumping that often. I tend to borrow milk from the next bag everytime.  Im only pumping just enough to feed them both at each feeding, but have extreme difficulty increasing the supply and making enough to freeze or store.  It seems i am living pump to pump to breast feed to breast feed. I dont have any milk stored in the freezer and fear if i go out or need a babysitter, there is no milk for them. For that i stay with them all the time. I cant seem to get ahead when feeding two kids.  I am very tempted to switch to formula so that i dont have to worry.  But i feel terrible if i do. I want to give them breast milk until they are at least 6 months, but i feel the time will be cut short. Any advice?
there are herbal supplements that help some people. You can look into fenugreek. I never used it- some people say it helps, for others it does nothing.

if pumping/nursing every 2 hours doesn't work for you, can can continue every 3-4 hours, but sneak at least 1 extra pump in at some point during the day or night. Unfortunately, incresing the frequency is the best way to increase supply.

when pumping frequently, make sure you have a good pump (hospital grade, medela pump in style, etc...) and that you don't turn the suction all the way up. i never turned it up more than 1/4- 1/3 speed. If your nipples are sore, you can apply some olive oil to the base of the nipple prior to pumping- it makes a huge difference. it is also possible that the horns are not the correct size for you. Most women do not fit the "standard" size that comes with most pumps.

I wouldn't give up breastfeeding just because you don't have a freezer stash. Even if the day comes where you have to give a supplemental bottle, it's still much better for them to get mostly breastmilk and some formula. Remember- it doesn't have to be all or nothing. And honestly, if you are making enough to feed 2 babies, you are doing quite well! you should be proud of yourself.
Thanks!  I do have a medela in style pump.  why shouldnt i turn it all the way up?  i do that all the time. how do i know if the horns are not my right size?
i was told turning it all the way up can damage your nipples. sounds like it's a possibility.

to tell if the shield is not the right size,
http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/faqs/176/how-do-i-know-if-my-breastshield-is-not-fitting-correctly

This site seems to describe it well-
http://babylovesyourmilk.com/breast-shield-fit.htm

my favorite was the pumpin pals angled shields. sooo much more comfortable than the regular medelas.
Thanks again. I will try the fenugreek tabs.  one thing i do is pump more than breast feed.  Should i breast feed more often than pump?  will that help increase my milk?  Breastfeeding two boys is really hard for me and its so much easier to pump and give bottle. They just nurse way too long
My son is 41/2 mo old and I had/have same issue.. My son was hospitalized for prematurity, Jandice, and he had to have bi latural ignal hernia surgery.. and I could never get use to the pump... I tried and tried.... so i brest and bottle feed and he is doing great. Its always awesome to brestfeed exclusively.. but with two babies ti can be overwhelming... And stress and worrying decreases milk supply.. I do not have twins but I have four other kids 8,5,3,21mo.. so I can relate.will pray for you hun!

try to breastfeed as much as possible.  The babies sucking will increase the stimulation for more milk supply.  Also try to feed them 'skin-on-skin' with them naked and you bare where they touch you - is supposed to also help the milk production.

Quite a challenge, but don't give up. You are doing great managing with 2 babies.  You can also look up a site by Dr. Jack newman - he's an expert on breastfeeding for more info.  And don't give up just becuase you can't get milk stored. Oh, for the storage, it is ok just to add oz at a time if you can.  Ie freeze 1 oz in a bottle, then add another oz on top and freeze it, etc. till you get a full bottle.  

I only have 1 baby, but also have not been able to build up any frozen stores (got about 30 oz frozen earlier) but not able to get any more becuase she drinks all I can produce - though if I am out am able to replace the frozen she may drink for the time I was out.

I also foudn that manual expressing a little (say 1 oz at a time) in between feeds also helps to build up a little spare.

Hope this helps.
Thank you ladies. Your advice is very helpful.  I will give it all a try.  So far like i said, i can feed them both no problem. But i make just enough for each feeding. Anything that i can do to give my like a boost, i will :)
Hi MelliMel18 - I'm a mother of 9 week old twin boys and am finding myself in the same situation as your post from June 2009.  Like you, I pump most of the time as I find the feeds to be quicker and know exactly how much they are getting. I also like to have an extra feeding on hand as a buffer. But lately it seems my milk supply is not keeping up with their growing needs. Wondering what you found to work for you and if you were able to keep up with the breast milk feeds.  Desperate to find some guidance and help.  Thanks!
Kuddos to you for EBF twins!  I know that for me (and for others I've spoken to) it's almost like your nipples need to build up a tolerance to being yanked on so much.  After a while my nipples weren't as sore and it doesn't bother me to pump or feed so much. I do know that after not pumping for a few days, when I'm home with the baby - the pump kind of, um, catches me off guard at being painful. I have my pump cranked up as high as it can go and as fast as it can go. I need to be efficient with my time when i'm at work - it's worked well for me so far.  Good luck with things!
did you find anything that helped? my twin Boys are 9 weeks today and I had to go back to work~ so I am only nursing at one night time feeding so I can sleep for three hours a night. I pump 3/4 times at work and twice at home am/pm and still have to supplement with formula, I take fenugreek four times a day and drink lots of water and am currently trying oatmeal in the morning. i really want to breastfeed till they are 6 months at least.... I am okay with supplementing but really would like them to have breastmilk at every other feeding. Right now with just starting back they had to have more formula as I didn't have anything in the freeze today was the first day daycare has enough for them both to have every other feeding but I know tomorrow they might each get a bottle. the pump is medela in style. I do use full blast but only because if not my let down is double the time (20 minutes vs 10 and I am pumping for almost 20 minutes)