Breastfeeding Community
I'm new to all this..need help!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I'm new to all this..need help!

I'm a ftm and just had my little man last Thursday.. I am breast feeding and it's going very well except for these horrible lumps/knots in my breasts that I'm getting. What is this from and how do I get rid of it?? Is it from milk building up in me or something else? Help! I have no clue about any of this lol
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
287071_tn?1365196113
Are they painful?  I got them occasionally and when I would pump I'd really try and apply pressure to them to get that milk duct to empty out and that would help.  Most hospitals have lactation consultants - you could check with them too.
Blank
At a week, could be your milk coming in. The transition from the colostrium (sp?) to milk can be uncomfortable. Keep up with the feedings and like Diane suggested massage/compression but I also did warm washcloths. If it persists I would reach out to a lactation consultant. Best of luck!
Blank
1868604_tn?1346462262
Sound like a clogged duct. Nurse often so the baby could suck it out. Hot compress before every feed and massage. Massage while nursing and try out a few difference nursing positions. Pump in between to completely empty the breasts. Also avoid any tight clothing. Keep an eye on it and if you even run a fever that mean it become infected. Call your OB if you have fever and flu like symptoms and ask about mastitis.
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
If they aren't painful and go down once you nurse it's probably just milk ducts. They can feel lumpy and bumpy particularly on the sides and near your arm pit and can feel tender in the eaely weeks. We call this engorgement, it happens as your milk comes in and my happen again after all the constant nursing that happens after baby hits a growth spurt . It could also be a blocked duct as others mentioned. Warm flannels and nursing/pumping can help.  Any redness of the skin or low grade fevers see your doctor.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...