Breastfeeding Community
Lactaid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Lactaid

I'm almost certain that Brady is lactose intolerant. I've been off of dairy myself since March 1st and since then he's been great. I've had little things here and there...like things with cream cheese or something with a bit of cheese or I'll have milk in stuff like potatoes etc and it wont bother him unless I have a major amount.
My question is...has anyone taken lactaid while breastfeeding if they have a lactose intolerant child?
The doctor mentioned lactaid for him but I haven't seen anything for children under the age of 2!! Would it work if I took regular lactaid so the lactose didn't pass to him?
You taking lactaid would not have any effect, positive or negative, on the baby. Lactaid would help you digest dairy if you had a tolerance, but doesn't remove or negate it from your milk.

The baby can take lactaid. You'd have to get an exact dose from the pediatrician. DH has seen some supplementation with lactaid.
The problem is in children under two is that it is not lactose that is the problem it is cow milk protein. My little one has that too. So you cannot have the protein in cows milk. I can eat goats millk cheese no problem but cow milk dairy I cannot. So lactose pills wouldn't help at all as it isn't the lactose that is the problem.
Often times by 6, 9 or 12 months you can introduce dairy back into your diet in moderations.  My son had the same issues and by 6 months he was on regular formula (supply issues), and by 12 months he was drinking cows milk with no issues.

Some mom's will slowly start to introduce a small amount into the diet at 6 months and see if it makes a difference, by 9 months most children are OK with mom's having some dairy (although not all).

Dairy is the most common food a breastfeeding mom needs to take out of there diet for fussy babies.