Latching on
My daughter is 5 days old and I am trying to breast feed her but she chomps down on my nipples with her gums and ***** on them really hard to the point where she is making my nipples bleed .. How can I get her to latch on correctly that way it doesn't hurt ?
The way I've gotten my LO to latch on right is by grabbing my nipple with both hands like a hamburger (best way I can explain it, sorry haha) on opposite sides of the nipple, with lots of aureola then get her to latch on to that, that way she gets more aureola and it doesn't hurt, just getting a good amount of the aureola in her mouth will help significantly with the pain, the first week or so is painful either way, it really does ease off. My daughter is now 16 days old and it doesn't hurt at all. Use nipple cream, or soothie gels (they really help) to help with the pain. I've also heard warm salty water helps, too! Good luck!!
Okay I'm going to try that .. Thanks
Another thing too, the health nurses have said to try not giving your baby a soother because they suck a soother differently then your nipple. The baby will tend to bite a soother, therefore biting your nipple as well because your baby can't tell the difference yet. I was told to wait it give a soother until about 3-4 weeks. And then maybe baby won't need one at all.