Breastfeeding Community
Looking for any advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Looking for any advice

Im going to be 39wks come Monday and have decided to try breastfeeding which is my first time doing. This is my fourth and women in my family have a history of not producing enough milk. What changed my mind was my sister breast fed her son without trouble and my breasts have gone from 38c to 40D before delivery when usually they never changed til after delivery.

So Im looking for any advice you would have for a first timer. I also have a couple of questions too: what is safe to use to keep breasts from having dry skin? Id normally just use lotion but the idea of that with my bubs mouth doesnt fly with me lol. Also, if I do fall into the trend of not producing enough milk like the rest of the women in my family, what signs of this would show up?
Lanolin is a great moisturizer to use and is safe for the baby.  I kept it on hand when i first started nursing each of my 3 kids. Staying hydrated has helped me have enough milk.  For me, I take things one day at a time.  I have found a ton of support here and with the resource at my local hospital.  When the baby was first born I had the baby to my breast within the first hour of life - make sure your dr and folks in the delivery room are aware of your intentions.  They will HELP a ton.  The nursing staff will get right in there with you and your baby to help make sure things are going well.  The hospital where I delivered had a lactation consultant on staff - check if your hospital does.

You should be able to hear your baby swallowing when you first start nursing.  The staff at the hospital can help identify the sound - like a clicking.  They will also be able to tell you how many wet diapers and poopy diapers your baby should have each day - a sign of how much is going in is how much is coming out!  That's one way to tell if your baby is getting enough milk.  Another way to tell if the baby is getting enough milk is weight gain.  Your baby's dr will help monitor this.

Best of luck - don't be afraid to reach out and ask lots of questions!
Ive never heard of Lanolin, I'll look into it. Thank you :)
Ask your doc or nurse if there is a breastfeeding class in the hospital where you're going to deliver.  I went to one on a Saturday, it was only 2 hours long but it was great!  Gave a ton of useful information and gave me a lot of confidence.  

As the first poster said, there will also be a lactation consultant who works out of the Labor & Delivery section at your hospital.  Have her check the baby's latch.  
When I was in the hospital with each kid I was given a trial size tube of lanolin.  It was made by Lansinoh in a purple tube. It is sold at Target.  Works wonders!
Ok Lansinoh Im familiar with, their breast pads are a life saver and feel awesome when cold lol. Thanks guys :) Im going to be looking into a breast pump through my hubby's insurance since after my 6wks are up I'll be going back to work and school :-\ If something happens and they dont help me, what breast pump do you guys recommend?.
Medela pump in style/ pump in style advance, ameda purely yours. If you're going to pump daily, you need a really good pump or it will drop your supply.
A little advice that I wish I would've had with my son, I quit breastfeeding at about 4 weeks with him, because I thought my milk supply dried up, and it didn't. When a baby has a growth spurt he/she feeds CONSTANTLY, like every half an hour for some, and it can last a few days or up to a week, and every single time I question my supply. I no longer do that. You will get to a stage where your baby is wanting to eat constantly, fussing at the breast, your boobs will feel completely empty, etc, etc. It's signs of a growth spurt and not your milk supply decreasing. The best way to tell is at least 4-6 wet diapers a day, and gaining weight. In the beginning they may gain quicker and slow down as they get older, it's normal. I look back now when I quit BF'ing my son and know it was a growth spurt and so, so regret not sticking it out with him. Growth spurts are hard but if you get through them breastfeeding is honestly an amazing experience!! I also recommend soothie gels if your nipples get sore, they're from the makers of lanolin and it should be right near them in the store, they're amaaaazing!! especially refrigerated!!
KTowne - do you think I should be pumping when baby isnt feeding to save up for those growth spurts? Im starting to feel like I might not produce enough when I start back up at work :-\
thats a good idea! always good to have a back up supply and it boosts your supply by pumping extra too!
I have a Medela pump in style I think it's called. Double electric is the way to go.  My pump is a beast and has been though a lot!  I got it from friend - just bought new parts for me and it is awesome!

If you pump after the first feeding in the morning when the baby is still young - like KTowne said it'll boost your supply but also that time of the day is what was recommended to me to build  up milk in the freezer.  Stay hydrated, that helps!
K so this might be a wives tale but i cant see why it wouldnt be worth a try but always consult your doctor first! I was told red raspberry leaf tea not only preps you for labour but helps with production of breast milk. This may be by chance but i am 37+5 and started drinking the tea 5 days ago, not only have my breast suddenly felt so full but they started leaking ALOT yesterday. If its ok with your doctor i cant see why it wouldnt be worth a try (p.s. It tastes SO good)
How is the tea helping with labor prep?
It is a wives tale if you read it induces you cause its not ment for that but its supposed to shorten the length of the pushing stage of labour as its known to "ripen your cervix". It is NOT to be taken before 37 weeks and with out doctors ok. In the first weeks of pregnancy it is known to cause miscairages so please please please ask your doctor if it ok. I got the ok at 37 weeks and began to have braxen hicks the day after so so far im convince its working but i guess the truth will come out during labor lol
Im 39 wks along and been having contractions about 5-20mins apart since last night. I havent asked yet but will on Monday if I dont have anything happen over the weekend.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice :) I'll keep in touch in case more come up.