Breastfeeding Community
Milk after 3 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Milk after 3 years

Hi all.  I have a 27 month old crazy terrible two year old daughter whom I nursed exclusively for the first 7 months of her life and up to about 5-10 small nursings sessions (some longer than others) even after she began solid foods.  
I stopped nursing her through the don't ask, dion't refuse method when she was about 15 months old.  As she got mobile and busier and smarter, staying put with Mommy in one spot for a prolonged period of time was just not one of her preferred activities.  
I would have nursed longer, not during the day though, as she was easily distracted and was on a cuppy but she slept with me in our family bed up until the time she stopped nursing so night feedings were always much longer. Anyway, I miss it terribly but that really has nothing to do with what I'm asking about so srry for rambling.
She ocassionally wants to see them and kiss them and put her head between them, as I'm sure she remembers and it's extremely cute but she never everdrinks from them any longer and hasn't had any regression in that area since she gaave it up. I apologize again if that was TMI,
Ok, here's the question, I didn't get my period for the entire time I nursed her so from the point of my last period before I became pregnant in Nov of 2005, to the point where she gave it up in Deccember of 07, I never ovulated.  I have heard that's not uncommon.  
It's now November of 2008 and I still have milk and A LOT of it.  I don't get engorged often but I have enough to squirt quite far, which she thinks is funny, and I leak when I look at pictured and videos of her when she was an infant.
It's not necessarily painful, except ocassionally when I ovulate, but has anyone else ever experienced this?  Is it normal?  When can I expect it to go away, the milk I mean.  Is it something that needs to be brough up to my gyn beacuse it's some sort of hormonal inbalance?
Thanks for even reading this ladies.....
I would bring it up to the doctor, just to make sure all it well. It is common for some women to continue to produce milk even after weaning, but I think for your peace of mind you should mention it to the GYN.

As far as the interaction with your daughter and your breasts, it is a little outside the realm of normal or acceptable by most standards. That being said, my now 2 year old still will snuggle up on my lap and almost absentmindedly try to slip his hand onto the breast or rather just above it (more on the pectoral muscle). It is a habit I am trying to break and fortunately it is only something he has attempted at home. It has a bizarre calming effect on him, but now 6 months removed from nursing I am encouraging him to find another way to center ;-)

So you've stopped nursing but are still making milk?  Wow!  Pump and sell it to Ben and Jerry's!
Thanks.  I do plan on bringing it up with my dr. There is actually somethng in the brain that controls breast milk production and there is a test, a simple blood test to determine how muchof that is being released from the brain.  I just found this out by doing some research.  
It's called the prolactin test to check a woman's levels.  When nursing you want your levels to be high but when not nursing, especially after nearly a year women should have a test to check their levels as prolactin in high amounts for prolonged periods of time can be breast cancer related and also interferre with sex drives and other things as well.  So, I will definitely bring this up with my gyn.

I would like to add, however, that this comment is a little, what's the word, weird perhaps to me:
"As far as the interaction with your daughter and your breasts, it is a little outside the realm of normal or acceptable by most standards."

If my daugher in the privacy of our own home wishes to snuggle up to my breasts and play with them from time to time for what's really seconds for whatever her reasons, I should encourage her not to, because it's not "normal"?  What's normal? I think everyone makes way too big of a deal about our bodies and touching especially between mothers and children and mothers and daughters.  I find it perfectly "normal" to allow my daughter to revisit them in a playful way since she is not trying to nurse in any way.
She has plenty of ways to center as she is a highly inteligent child who speaks to me in full sentenes so I don't quite understand why it's out of the realm of normality for her to do what she does for the 2 seconds she does it whenever that happens to be, however seldom.
I don't remember aking you what normal was and I don't see how it was relevant to my question at all unless you were trying to say that you thought it might be causing some  sort of stimulation and therefore might be a possible link into my ongoing production of milk.
Otherwise, I will, just as I have since the day she was born, assume the right to know what is "normal" and what is not for my daughter.
Again, thank you for giving my question attention and speaking solely for myself, I am greatly appreciative for your personal concern regarding the realms of normality.
Girlybuff, I see where you're coming from, to an extent.  Yes, you breastfed and your child derived comfort and nutrition from your breasts.

But you are no longer, and have not, breastfed your child for quite some time, so they have become part of your body once again, and are not used for feeding or nurturing this child any longer.  
We teach our children that private parts of our bodies are just that...private.  I'm in no way equating breasts with genitals, but breasts DO have a sexual connotation in our society.   The purpose of breasts are to lactate, but like it or not, they are considered to be a sign of femininity and are usually also part of sexual contact between adult partners.

Eventually, she will have to separate herself from playing with your naked breasts.  She's young yet, and I'm sure its very cute, but eventually you will have to determine at what point it becomes inappropriate for her to touch private areas of your body.  

I'm sure I'll receive the same reply that Andi did, but you did include a lot of extraenous information in your post.
Anytime you give information about yourself on a public website, you open yourself up to commentary about what is committed to the written word.  I'm sorry if you become upset by reading what I have to say, too.  

I also agree that you should mention this lactating issue to your doctor, as it can be caused by several things.  There are certain medications that have this as a side effect, too, so be sure to share all the medications you are on.
I find it out of the norm that you would allow her to touch, kiss , and play with your breasts.    Breastfeeding is one thing but this is a completely different thing.