Breastfeeding Community
Milk amount (pumping)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Milk amount (pumping)

Is anyone else strictly pumping?
I am about two and a half weeks postpartum. My baby WILL NOT latch so I am strictly pumping. I am getting between 100 -150ml (about 5-6oz) total each pump. I am pumping every 2-5 hours (i pump whenever she's done feeding so we stay routine).  Is this enough? Should I be getting more?
My LC told me I am about average.. I get about 2-3oz every 2 1/2hrs, according to studdies the normal amounts a breast feeding mom produces is around 1+ounces per hour and a BF baby may only take in 24-28oz/day. So depending on how many times per day you pump 5-6oz seems very good.

In fact when I first started out I mainly used the sheild, then pumped, then finger fed after that. It was hard and time consuming- good thing for maternaty leave!!

Keep up the good work and visit a local Laction Consultant for more help on your baby's latch!!
For your baby only being 2 weeks, that's wonderful. You might however want to pump more frequently if you want to build up a larger supply. You want to mimic a BF baby, and they cluster feed in the first 6 weeks. This can happen every 1 or even every 30 minutes. It's normal and a way to increase supply. Your LC should be able to provide you with more details, and ways to increase it if that's what you choose to do.
I am feeding and pumping. I get 5oz every hour and about every 2-3 hours he eats and I don't know how much he gets. But I pump every hour unless He eats that hour. I also pump after he is done and get about 3oz.
I exclusively pumped for the first 3 month and decided I was sick of being stuck to a schedule of pumping every 4 hours which I got 10 oz 5 from each side everytime I pumped.

I used a nipple shield and started putting her to the breast every time she was hungry first and she soon got the hang of nursing. It was a struggle and time consuming. I weaned her from the shield after about 2.5-3 weeks. Now at 10 months old breastfeeding is great! I pump only once a day.

If you are going to exclusively pump you will need to mimic her feeding patterns to increase your supply as her demand increases.

Try and find a Le Leche league in your area. They can help you with any problems or concerns you have. My group leader was wonderful and helped me be able to nurse instead of pump.

Good luck.
Thats awesome you are getting a great amount and perfect to pump when your little one eats. Great to stay in that routine :). I also exclusively pumped for the first five weeks i kept putting her to the breast and trying and eventually one day she just got it and we have been able to exclusively breastfeed since. Pumping is exhausting work but good job keep up the good work. Do you have a hands free pumping bra? That was the best, it held the shields and bottles in place while I pumped so I could read or surf the Internet :) made pumping less of a burden
Thank you ladies! I am a bit worried about my production. I can Only get about an oz out of one breast which is why im concerned. I dont want the supply to decrease!
How long do you go at night without pumping?
i just purchased the pumping bra last night & I love it!
in the first months, you shouldn't go too long at night without pumping. I was told I could sleep one 4-5 hour stretch, but otherwise keep pumping every 2-3 hours. When you pump, it's good to get at least 1 pump in between the hours of 1 AM and 5 AM, as that is when prolactin levels are generally the highest. As you start to spread the pumps out a few weeks down the line, you can spread out the night ones more.

Basical rule for pumping (of course it varies, but this is what is generally advised)- in order to build your supply, you should pump as often as a baby would nurse, which is usually 8 to 10 times in a 24 hour period. They advise you maintain this schedule until about 12 weeks, which is when bf'ing is less hormone driven, and more based on supply and demand. Of course, there are individual variations. I was able to start dropping pumps at 8 weeks without negative impacts. In fact, it seemed to boost my supply.

How much is enough? Depends on if you want to store extra milk. Otherwise, as long as you are meeting her demands, you are OK. The best way to avoid dropping supply is to make sure that you pump until you are completely empty. Breast compressions help with this. Also, most women have several let-downs, so if you keep pumping you may find you get more. Make sure you continue pumping a few minutes past your major let-downs to signal to your breasts to make more next time.
As others have mentioned, babies naturally boost mom's supply by cluster feeding. If you find her demand increasing but your supply remaining stable, you may need to throw in a few extra pumps or lengthen them for a few days to let your body know that it needs to make more. It takes several days to over a week for a change in pumping habits to show in supply.

With good habits, it is possible to pump exclusively long term. It's a lot of work, and does get tiring and frustrating. I had 2 babies, and had to pump for different reasons with each. With my first, I pumped for 6 months, and had an additional 2 months frozen. I stopped because of work and grad school, not because of supply problems. With my second, I pumped for 8 months and had 2 months frozen. With both, I was able to cut down to 3 pumps a day after several months, and still produced enough to meet their needs. The only thing is, that with less pumps, you have to pump longer to continue producing enough.
You can also try increasing water intake, drink mothers milk tea and take fenugreek
I would pump every 2 to 3 hours for 15 minutes at a time. I strictly pump and I've got bad low milk supply. I've been using Breastea from http://www.breastea.com and I have seen a dramatic increase in my milk supply. I went from pumping 1/2 ounce to about 5 ounces. You might want to try it to see if it helps your milk supply.