Breastfeeding Community
Milk blister- ouch!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Milk blister- ouch!

I have been battling this milk blister for at least two weeks now.  The first sign I had that something was wrong was excruciating pain when my dd latched on, but there was no hard quadrant on the breast like a blocked duct.  After a brutal night of hourly nursing where it was all I could do not to yelp out loud, I noticed a white spot on the nipple.  I sterilized a needle and tried to puncture it along the edge, but dd has always been rough on my breasts- rearing back suddenly while latched, pulling off with a painful *pop*, chewing on me when she can't get back to sleep and is frustrated- and the needle could barely penetrate the thickened skin.  A day or two of uncomfortable nursing, always offering that side first, and the problem went away, or so I thought.
It has come back three times now, and last night was particularly awful.  I even got the hard section of breast that comes with a blocked duct.  This morning I punctured the blister, and it started leaking all over the place.  I literally had a palmful of milk within a minute.  My dd was delighted though, after a night of frustrated nursing, she guzzled and guzzled.  (I should mention I've been struggling with my supply since day one and never leak.)
Anyway, I'm really getting sick of this, and as of tonight it's back, I'm in pain, and she's frustrated again.  I'm seriously thinking of renting a hospital grade pump to help clear it up, since my dd gets frustrated, abuses my nipple and probably is making things worse.  I'm also going to start putting lanolin on after nursing to soften up the skin.  Does this sound like a good plan?  Any other recommendations?  I'm off to take some Tylenol now; hopefully that will take the edge off the pain.  Thanks for any help you can offer.
I've heard that lecithin can help...

here is a link containing more info, including dosage instructions:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html
Any time you get a sore on your breast it is a good idea to see a doctor. Rupturing it on your own can lead to a worsening infection and could end requiring you to only pump and dump on that side until it clears.

I would still suggest seeing your doctor just to make sure it isn't something more serious. Renting a hospital grade pump is a good idea as it can help boost your supply.

Also, when my boys went through their "abuse' phases, I simply cut the feeding short when they started getting antsy. Sometimes they were distracted, sometimes they simply were bored, and most often it was a sign they were not really all that hungry. If they were hungry, they would indicate they wanted to nurse again, I would oblige, and if they did it again, I cut it short. It didn't take long for them to learn it wasn't play time : )

i can't offer advice for the nursing, but have had my share of painful nipples and nipple problems. to help your nipples heal between session you may want to get nipple shells. they keep all fabric off your nipple and allow air circulation to heal it. they look a little silly under clothes, so i only wore them while home.  they healed even my worst bleeding sores within a day or 2.
Thanks ladies!
I'm feeling better today... finally this morning I had healed enough to soak the nipple and scrub off the thickened skin that was blocking the duct.  I'm treating it with saline and lanolin after nursing, and it seems to be healing up well.
xsamiamx, lecithin is great stuff!  I was taking it for recurrent blocked ducts, but with the fenugreek, blessed thistle, b complex, vitamins, and all, I get overwhelmed by pills sometimes and stopped taking it when I felt better.  I've learned my lesson though, since apparently I'm prone to this problem.
Andi, I would go to the doctor if I felt it was infected, but I'm pretty sure it was just a physical blockage.  I didn't have a fever, swelling, or pain anywhere but in the blocked duct itself.  As a general note, I really appreciate your commitment to answering every breastfeeding question we all have!  I have taken your advice and cut dd off when she gets abusive.  It's just with my early supply issues I felt like I should encourage her to nurse as long and as often as I could and bite the bullet if it was uncomfortable for me.
I'm struggling with renting the pump again because it's $50 per month.  Hopefully the lecithin and lanolin will clear this up.
tiredbuthappy- I just keep the flap unfastened on the problem side, and that removes any pressure. I sure could have used those shells when I first started nursing though!
Just be very careful with lancing anything on your body, it is a risky gamble that could have some pretty bad complications.

I understand, I only have one functioning breast and have to nurse often and for long periods to keep the supply up. But I was also very paranoid, significant enough trauma to that one breast/nipple would spell the end for nursing. I dealt with mastitis a few times with each one and that was rough!

I never went the pump route, never had time! With one side it was hard to get more than an hour between nursing sessions for the first 6 mos and eventually 2 hours during the last 6 mos of the 1st year.
you may want to make sure the baby is opening her mouth wider to suck. right befor she takes hold place your finger on her chin so she  will open her mouth wider. lol... sounds like shes  doing what my dd did.. omg.. I know that filling.. mine got so bad it scabbed..
that helped me with dd..
good luck.. I know that hurts!!
Hopefully the final word on this subject from me... for future mothers with milk blisters who google this post.
After the flap of skin was gone, the milk blister was reduced to a tiny white dot again.  I could nurse without pain, until the next evening (36 hours later) when she latched on and I felt a sharp cutting pain for just an instant.  I kept nursing, but when she let go I noticed something on her face, even by the light of the nightlight alone.  It was (gross alert) milk and blood running down her face.  Apparently it didn't bother her at all.  Vampire baby!  
The white dot had turned into a red dot.  It wasn't actively bleeding.  I used a tiny amount of antibiotic ointment on the spot for two days after each nursing, and it never got infected.  Now it has healed, and I am taking lecithin religiously to prevent a recurrence.  I also cut off dd as soon as she gets abusive.  "OK, you're done" I say and close up shop!