Breastfeeding Community
More milk from one side than other?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

More milk from one side than other?

I was wondering if it's normal to pump more from one side than the other?

I have a Medela PIS and I dual pump and seem to get 3.5-4oz from my right boob and only 2-2.5oz from my left boob.  I pump about every 3.5-4 hours. I'm pumping more than enough milk for her feedings.  She only eats 2-3oz every 3-4 hours.  My right boob is probably a half cup size bigger to when full of milk.

I am still having problems with her latching without a nipple shield. I have tried pumping first to draw out the nipple so it would be easier for her to latch but that doesn't work .
I don't know, but my breasts are the same way. My right breast seems to have more milk but Liam prefers to nurse from the left breast so I pump mostly from the right.
Mine have always been different.
With my first, Righty always did a full ounce better than Lefty, until I had an episode of mastitis in Righty, after which Lefty always produced an ounce more.
With my second pregnancy, I think Lefty continued to always outproduce Righty.

This is very normal and a frequently asked question. I guess just like both of our feet aren't always the same, and some ppl have 2 different eyes, our boobs are not identically made. In fact, it's normal for people to 2 different cup sizes even when not bf'ing.

I'm sure ppl have mentioned this, but watch your supply. It is very possible that it will drop soon (although hopefully it won't!) unless you up your pumping. At this point, milk production is hormone driven so you have ample. As time goes on, it will shift to supply-demand. With this schedule this early on, you may not build your supply naturally to meet her needs as they grow. It is also possible that as the hormone drive drops, your pumping schedule may not be sufficient to maintain supply. Unless, of course, you are one of those who have been blessed to be a high volume pumper.
I also use a Medela PIS and I get at least 2 ounces more from my right breast.  It's normal to have a breast that produces more.  The reason why my right produces more is because my daughter prefers to nurse from that one.  She has problems latching onto my left breast because my left nipple is flat so from birth she's always nursed better on the right side which is why I think it produces much more than the left.

She's almost 5 months old and she still nurses every 2-3 hours.  The doctor wants me to make her wait at least 3-4 hours but I still nurse on demand when I'm with her.
My breast were different from the beginning and I have always pumped more from one than the other, double volume. I can easily see the difference in size when I look at myself in a mirror... hope they'll be back the same size once I stop nursing but I have read that the big one will probably stay slightly bigger than the other one :-(
My left one has more milk and now my daughter only drinks from the left hand side. She is 15 months old so that's fine. I have always had one bigger than the other, I think it was the right one. Have you seen a lactation specialist in regards to the latching? I breastfed on demand and find that the best way to keep up your supply .