My NIPPLES hurt!!!
I had my baby girl this past Saturday 8/10/13 Yeah!!!! And I made the decision to exclusively breastfeed. Around day 3 of feeding my nipples began hurting as soon as she latched on and having scabs on them. Not thick scabs but a thin layer of a scab will form. My question is, is this normal? Is it okay for her to eat with my nipples having a scab on it like that? And lastly....how long does this pain of initially latching on last and how long does this scabbing last if it is normal? Please help me! I am a first time mom and I don't know what to do! Thank you ladies!
Unfortunately its very common. It completely safe to continue to nurse while you have these scabs even though I know it seems gross. For me my nipples usually toughen up around two weeks or so. Put lanolin on your nipples before and after nursing and let them be exposed to air as much as you can. I spend most of the first two weeks topless lol. Hang in there. It will get easier.
Thank you so much tomorrow264!!! I was really freaking out and scared. I don't want to stop breastfeeding her so I feel much better knowing this is common!!!
You're welcome. I got scabby nipples with all 3 babies and with my first I was really worried about it too.
The nipple thing is gross but totally normal!  The pain should pass after a few minutes as long as baby is latched on correctly.  When baby is done nursing you can express a little of your milk and rub it in or use a lanolin cream.  Take Tylenol or more in if your doc gave you any after baby for the pain.  It shouldn't blast more then a week.  Good luck!! You'll be fine!  I just went through it with baby #4 and it stinks!!
Same here for me! Just had my baby 8/13/13 my hubby was worried about my nipples being like that scabby, but it has stopped hurting not. It feels fine.