Breastfeeding Community
One side has almost dried up!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

One side has almost dried up!

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to re-establish the milk supply in one side? I belive I overused the same left side so my left breast has much more milk supply than the right one, it is visible because the breast size is not the same lol
For your info, my child is almost 3 months now, is it too late to re-balance the milk supply?
Any ideas are welcome!
No it is not too late. I would start every feed on the breast that has the lower supply for a while and let your baby feed from that one until he/she shows signs of frustration and then offer the other one, do this for several days, maybe a week. Then switch to offering the lower supply first for two feeds and then the other one for the third feed, continue this cycle until you feel "evened out"  a little bit then you can probably go to starting each feed on alternating sides.
Many babies have a side they prefer and nearly all women seem to have one side that produces more than the other and it is also possible to just use one breast to nurse a baby too, although it can be very hard work during growth spurts and the like. Hopefully things will even out soon for you. Good luck.
Thanks for your answer, it is very helpful. I will try to follow your advice and see how it goes. You re right, I feel more comfortable using the left side so it is easier for me. Now, I would like to even the supply at least a little bit as I don't have enough for him using only one side. Thanks again!
If, however, you can't get your right side to catch up, many, many women have successfully nursed on one side only. I am one of them! I did nurse on both sides for several months but my right side couldn't keep up and baby preferred the left side anyhow. Eventually, baby just refused the right side all together. So, we nursed for months on the left side only (: When I was full, it was noticeably lopsided but most people, unless I pointed it out, could not tell. Not that big of a deal. Good luck on balancing your supply (: Just wanted to let you know that you can still nurse from only one side if it doesn't work out.
Good to know, thanks so much for the info.  Right now, I m using both breastfeeding and formula so just breastfeeding is not sufficient anyways but I have a good supply on my left side and baby wants the breast even after having formula, I think I will follow your advice because baby has a hard time taking the right side, the nipple is too tiny lol.
Yep, same here. My left nipple is what I call my dominant nipple. The right, well, inferior! ;)