Breastfeeding Community
PUMPING AND BREAST FEEDING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

PUMPING AND BREAST FEEDING

Hi everyone, I have a 6 1/2 week old little boy. I am a stay at home mommy right now, and I have decided that I want to start pumping while still breastfeeding. Not only to start building a little bit of a storage supply but also so that I can feed him in public without having to worry about finding a spot with some privacy to feed him (seems like a big challenge in stores!). I actually started today with the pumping, I have an electice ameda pump and this morning when I tried, I hardly got anything after 20 minutes, but earlier this evening, I got an ounce after a 30 min pumping session. I was wondering:
how long I should be pumping for?
How often to be pumping?
And how much anyone else gets in a pumping session?
Also, is it better to use a manual pump or electric pump? I have seen some nice hand pumps at walmart for for $30 and dont know if this would be better?
Any information/ tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! :)
I get about 2 ounces per side and I only pump 5 minutes per side and I pump after she is done eating. I got an avent pump at walmart for about 100 bucks.  Its electric.  I like it, its easy to use and it doesn't take long.  I am not sure on how long u should pump but sounds like 30 minutes is a little long.  Your pump may not be doing the job. I don't pump every day.  I do maybe once a week.  I try to keep about 10 bags of milk in the freezer in case I need to go somewhere.  I am also a stay at home mom and my baby girl is almost 8 months.  I don't go
places often without her.  Good luck hopefully others can give you more advice.
Congrats on your little one!!  And successful breastfeeding!!  :). I have a lot of experience pumping as I had a premature baby who could not breastfeeding at the beginning. Now we are successfully breastfeeding and I do pump sometimes as back up just in case.

What I have found about pumps is the more money you spend the better the pump, the better it will work, more milk it can remove which in turn effective removal of milk can help to increase your supply if needed. Usually first thing on the morning is the best time to pump because due to hormone levels being high in the morning, you often have more milk.so you would want to breastfeed and then you would pump afterwards. If you are one of the lucky ones to have a baby who sleeps long stretches at night you can pump in the night also or instead.

Theost most efficient pump that any lactation consultant, pediatrician, OB, nurse and such would
Recommend is the Medela brand. The pump in style and pump in style advanced is an electrict double pump so you can pump both breasts at once. It is a hospital grade pump and world wide recognized as the best pump on the market. I can tell you from experience that from exclusively pumping the first five weeks not only did my milk come in quickly but I was able to not just maintain a supply but increase my supply to the point that I would get 6oz per side  in less than 10 min I was able to feed my baby every 3 hours around the clock as per guidelines of the NICU but I was also able to donate 300oz to a woman undergoing chemo who was unable to breastfeed. With those 300oz I was still able to save some for me as well.

You should not be pumping usually for more than 10-15 min at a time so that you don't hurt your nipples. It sounds like your pump is not effectively removing milk.

As for feeding your baby in public. You have the right to breastfeed anywhere and everywhere that you have a right to be. Many people use a nursing cover and feed descretely even in church!  Just today I was breastfeeding descretely during a religious service. Nobody vet knew. If you are in a store like Target or the mall you can take your baby in to the dressing room. At Target and most places they will open a handicap size feeding room for you do you can nurse privately. They always let me bring my shopping cart in too. When I was traveling new York city I popped in to a few department stores here and there to breastfeed. When learning how I feed in public descretely (you don't have to be descrete unless you want to). I would suggest breastfeed while looking in the mirror so you can tell what shows and what doesn't. I think you would be surprised at how little shows!  I would also suggest feeding in front of those people say in your home like other mommys or female relatives so you can get used to it. You can also breastfeed in the car. If you are in a building I usually ask a woman who works there where I can privately feed my baby and they always find me a quiet office with a big comfy chair. People are surprisingly accommodating. After all many women have once walked in your shoes. It's worry some the first few times you breastfeed in public, feels ackeard like everyone knows what you are going but soon enough you find that nobody notices or cares and those who do they only notice because they too have been in your position.

Sorry for the long post!
Congratulations on your little one!!
The Ameda is a very good pump, comparable to the Medela and is (along with Medela) used widely in hospitals here in Canada and the UK. I used mine with both my kids part time, I them lent it to a friend who pumped exclusivly for nine months with it and never needed a drop of formula and have now lent it to another friend who is using it exclusivly for a baby who as yet can't latch. It has certainly been worth it's money!! If it is the purely yours double electric you have there are a few things you need to watch out for. Firstly and most importantly is that the little white valves on your collection kits are in perfect condition, the slightest imperfection and your pump will not create the suction required. I would suggest you get new ones straight away and be very careful to wash them gently with your fingertips and rinse with water, never use a brush or poke anything through them. Secondly play around with the settings for cycle and suction, I have that pump and found a fast cycle with a lower suction for a few minutes initiated the let down then I would slow down the cycle and increase the suction a little to get long drawn out pumps that really drew out the milk. At no pint though did I ever use both the cycle and suction on maximum. At 6 1/2 weeks postpartum and ounce after a feeding is a pretty decent amount but if you want your body to produce more you have to be pretty religious about pumping several times a day after feeding for about 15 minutes at a time to indicate  to your body that you want it to produce more milk and it maybe a couple of weeks before you see much of an increase in that output. With a 6 1/2 week old baby you may just want to put all your efforts into nursing him right now and try pumping a bit more often in a few weeks time.
And the above poster is right, breastfeeding in public can take a little time to get used to but you will soon find you can do it with out anyone even noticing.
Good luck.