Breastfeeding Community
Pain relief options

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Pain relief options

I'm breast feeding my 1.5 month old and need to know what pain relief is safe while BF. I've been having terrible back spasms and am at the end of my rope. Tylenol does nothing for this pain! Anyone have any suggestions?
My doctor said ibuprofen was okay, that may help more than tylenol for your pain! If that doesn't help I'd see a doctor and they can prescribe you something safe for BF'ing and that will help.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try it.  Hope it works! Ill try anything at this point :)
And you can take both together if needed, just don't exceed the daily recommended dose of either.
They gave me Advil in the hospital when I delivered.  I agree that ibuprofen is fine.  

Also - have you considered a chiropractor?  They helped me when I was pregnant and I know my husband gets relief with back pain.
Avatar n tn
Codeine are also approved by aap list,  if you go online and check the site http://************/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/aap-approved-meds/. It will list all meds that are safe. Hope ur back get better soon,  I know how it feels :(
Avatar n tn
The bit it blanked out is kellymom.  Com
lactmed is a great app where you can look up certain medications and it will tell you if theyre safe to take while bfing
I use a heating pad while I and and nurse.
Avatar n tn
Started seeing a chiropractor and using a cold compress. It's starting to help along with a bit of Advil to take the edge off the pain. Thank goodness cuz my baby boy is getting heavy! Lol
Thank you ladies! :)))
Avatar n tn
That's good then :)
So glad you're finding relief!  And also glad you found good suggestions here - I always did!