Breastfeeding Community
Painful let-down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Painful let-down

The let-down used to feel like tingling, but lately it's been really painful, like someone is stabbing me. Any ideas what might cause this?
Yikes, that sounds painful - I wonder if you have mastitis.  Is your breast, swollen, red, or warm?  Do you have a fever or feel like you have the flu?  It also may be a yeast infection.  But I think that a yeast infection is usually described as a burning pain, where mastitis is described as a stabbing pain.  Look up symptoms of mastitis on the internet and see if that sounds like you.  

I am not sure whether you should go to your primary doctor or OB for this - your OB might be best.

Good luck.
I just got over a case of mastitis about two weeks ago...it is *extremely* painful...I'd guess much moreso than just a letdown. It could be the beginnings of mastitis, but I also noticed that you've recently returned to work? So I assume you're pumping.
I know for me, there are weeks when pumping really affects the breast tenderness level; I think around the time of ovulation or just before starting my period (I have a Mirena IUD, so I don't really have a predictable or noticeable cycle anymore, therefore I can't exactly say when I ovulate or when I'm due for a period, but both still do happen). During those times, not only are my breasts a little tender with pumping, but later in the evening when I'm able to nurse my baby, the letdown is a little more painful than just the average feeling of pressure or tingling.
I've never had a yeast infection, so I wouldn't know how to describe the feelings of those symptoms to you, but speaking from experience with mastitis, if you are coming down with it, be aware for these symptoms:

- very extreme pain in your breasts, anything that touches them feels like a knife stabbing you
- pain inhaling, as your chest expands and hurts your breasts
- pain would be an understatement when letdown occurs
- difficulty raising your arms over your head because it hurts your breasts
- difficulty turning your torso from side to side because it hurts your breasts
- feeling like you're coming down with the flu (potential fever, body aches, fatigue, chills)
- redness, localized or generalized, on the breast
- breasts are hot to the touch

When I had mastitis, I went to my OB. You get antibiotics and feel normal again within a week.
I had a yeast infection and let down was very painful.

You should contact your OB and get a script.
Thanks for the input. I looked up the symptoms for both yeast infections and mastitis and I don't think I have either. The painful letdown is my only symptom. Pumping does seem to make them more tender, maybe it is also affecting my letdown.