Aa
A
A
Close
Pediatrician wants me to supplement!
I absolutely don't think it is necessary.  She IS gaining weight but not as much as they would like to see.  The nurse practitioner said to bring her back in a week for weight check but I might have to supplement with formula.  I must have given her the look of death because she said... "or, we can just schedule another appointment after that to chart her weight gain".

Can they really make me supplement? I'm not okay with that.  My baby is perfectly healthy otherwise according to the pediatrician.
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
6628393 tn?1398792876
If she is gaining weight I wouldnt supplement. Most doctors dont use a breastfeeding weight chart and go by a formula chart which can be a difference in weight.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Yes they CAN make you if baby isnt gaining 10% every so often bc then baby is being starved and there's no retention in the body fat. If you choose not to and babys weight gain is normal even if dr advises it is one thing but if baby isnt progressing adequately and u refuse dr orders thats different.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Her progression is fine now.  She lost a lot after birth and wasn't at birth weight by 2 weeks, but we're playing catch up now. Considering how much she lost in the first week she had to gain a lot back.  my midwife was totally satisfied with her weight gain.  She has several wet & or yellow seedy poops daily.  She was 3 oz under where they wanted her to be today.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
4268628 tn?1375044776
There are alternatives that do not include formula.  They can't force you if she is gaining.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Breastfeeding Community Resources