Breastfeeding Community
Really large nipples after pumping?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Really large nipples after pumping?

First time using a breast pump today.  Still in hospital but the lactation specialist isn't here right now..I asked my nurse but I don't think she was sure on her answer.  I've used the pump 4 times now today/night and noticed nipples were tiny bit larger after but not shockingly.  This last time I just got done they were to me shockingly large and kinda hard. Is that normal?  It's been 15 min they are slowly going down but ifk what to think.  Any ideas on what's going on?
make sure your pump isn't set to a strong setting. I was told no more than 1/3 of the way up. Stronger is not better. You can also ask the nurses or LC to help you make sure that your horns are the right size. If you end up pumping long term, you may want to order a pair of pumpin pals angled shields off the internet- not expensive and SO much gentler on the nipples.
My nipples definitely got quite large from pumping, but it wasn't permanent.

COngratuations on the arrival of your little one and for trying so hard to give her breastmilk. Such a precious gift, especially for a little one born early. I ended up pumping for almost 7 months for my baby born early. She thrived because of it. She was 3rd% when born, and up to 75th% by 2 months. There are many here who have pumped, as well as many who had trouble nursing at first and were able to overcome the challenges and nurse for a long time.
Why do you feel you have to use a pump? American women feel the need to do this and I have no idea why. Unless you have a particular problem, the suckling of the baby produces all the milk he needs.
I think there is a specific problem- it sounds like the baby is unable to stay awake long enough to suckle. Not only is she a newborn, but she was 5 weeks early. These problems are quite common with preemies and pumping will help bring in mom's milk while they assess the baby's ability to nurse efficiently.
I too had a preemie five weeks early. I was told to pump every four hours around the clock  bc my daughter couldn't stay awake to feed :(. But she eventually got better at it and after 5 weeks was able to exclusively bf