Serious Reflux
So Rj has been on reflux medication 2x/day since he was about a week old. Recently his reflux has gotten better not worse. Im torn because i just dont know what to do anymore. Its been suggested we thicken his milk with rice cereal- which is fine while im at work but doesnt help when hes actually at the breast. I want to continue BFing but i dont want to put what i want above what might be best for him. Im wondering if i should consider temporarily putting him on a formula for infants with severe reflux and continue pumping until we know if it makes a difference. Has anyone been in this position?
I had a friend that BF and her daughter had reflux, she pumped breast milk and put a little cereal into it, is that an option you could try?
Yes. i pump now while im at work so im gunna have my husband try that while im at work and see if it makes a difference. im worrying now that he may have a milk intolerance? So i might try eliminating dairy from my diet for a while. the problem with strictly pumpin (i did it for several weeks when he was first born and had trouble latching) is it is EXTREMELY time consuming and when your a mom that works ft and still needs to take care of your family and home it doesnt leave much time for anything else. it was different when i was home on ML.
My 5 mo old we have been told has reflux, she's been on meds for a while.  At no point has our pediatrician suggested giving formula or putting cereal in with the milk.  How old is your baby?
Hes 3months old. Weve been dealing with the issue pretty much since birth and it recently has gotten worse. I have no problem with the cereal if it helps him (even though im sure others dissagree with him) and the doctor didnt suggest the formula its something my husband and i have been discussing becuase my son is so miserable. He screams after he eats, fusses cries and vommits all over himself and whoever is holding him for up to two hours after eating. I dont know if its something i am eating thats causing the reaction and if so how to figure it out and eliminate it from my diet- if in fact it is something that "easy". At this point i am at a loss and tired of seeing my child in pain and desprately seeking an possible answers
def. try cutting out milk, my daughter does the same if i drink milk! ive also heard of a lot of doctors suggesting cereal in small amounts in bottles for reflux babies, it must help. whatever is best for you and baby, this is supposed to be an enjoyable time, not stressful.
Cut out things that could be an irritant, like milk, strawberries, broccoli...  see if it helps.  i had a friend who was on a super strict diet when nursing and they got through it.  does the dosage need to be adjusted?  at our 4 mo appt our dr said that the baby was at the lower end of a therapeutic dose, that often babies out grow their dose.  That might be a good question, is the baby getting enough of a dose of medicine for how much they've grown?