Breastfeeding Community
Severe nipple burning/pain and stabbing pain in breasts...Doctor says i...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Severe nipple burning/pain and stabbing pain in breasts...Doctor says it is engorgement?

I had my son 6 weeks ago.  I was given 3 antibiotics through IV during delivery because I had a fever.

I started bf'ing in the hospital and kept it up for the first week around the clock on demand.  Towards the end of the week it started to get soo painful I was in tears because it felt like fire ants were eating their way out of my breasts through my nipples.  I stopped because it was literally more painful than childbirth.  I started pumping and within days my breasts felt more normal.  HOWEVER I felt like my supply was starting to diminish even with pumping every 2 hours so I tried bf'ing again and at first there was no pain, it was normal and then within 24 hours it /was unbearable.  

My nipples were/are black/purple in some areas on the tip, sore like you can't believe and peeling.  

Within days of stopping bf'ing they go back to normalish.

My ob says it is engorgement.  I don't think so...what do you think.

I have seen a lactation consultant and they said latch is fine...
Have you tried using lanolin between nursing sessions? do you clean your nipples after your baby nurses?  I used lanonlin when my son was young b/c I had sore nipples and it helped.  I've heard of the saliva from the baby needing to be cleaned off the mother's nipple and that may help with things. If you clean off after your baby is done - than that'll help you heal - esp if you use lanonlin. I can't imagine it's engorgement.  If your nipple is changing colors...  that's not engorgement...  Good luck with things.  You can still give breast milk if you're puming and getting an adequate supply- one of the  moderators on this site has experience with that.
Thank you...I swear it is not engorgement...he couldn't have been listening to what I was saying because I wasn't describing anything that sounded like engorgement from what I have read!  ALSO my nipple, even where it is not purpley...it is only in one spot...only sprays like 2 or 3 sprays...shouldn't it be coming from more pores?

I have tried the lanolin BUT I haven't tried cleaning between feedings...I will give that a try.  I REALLY want to nurse...I hate pumping!  
My nipples spray from several different places when I pump. I guess I've never looked close enough to really get a feel for how many.  Are your boobs really full - like hard and pumping helps? That would sound like engorgement where you're like - over full if that makes sense.  Does the lanolin help at all?  

What is it about pumping you hate?  I've had to do it 2-5 times a day since October when I went back to work.  It's not my favorite but it's helped keep my supply up while I'm at work.  I really hate washing all the parts!
That does not sound like engorgement at all.

Could you see an IBCLC or your local LLL Leader (free) for some help? It would be best if someone could watch what happens when your baby nurses. We can offer information online, but since we can't actually *see* what is happening, we're mostly offering ideas of what it could be. The latch can look fine from the outside, but what matters is what is happening inside baby's mouth (tongue placement, where baby's gums "land" on your nipples). If nursing is painful (especially if leading to bruising, bleeding, peeling, etc!) something is "off". Please don't give up hope! There are people out there that can help you.

Pain could be thrush, peeling could be thrush...but the other symptoms you describe don't sound very thrush-like. Also, thrush wouldn't disappear when you're pumping and reappear when you're nursing. My best guess is something else is going on.

Keep us updated!
I was thinking of calling my insurance co & see if they'll cover an at home visit from an ibclc.  I think I might have improved the latch on my own from watching some videos by dr jack newman...now the nursing isn't so painful.  

It is def. not engorgement and i am so frustrated to be just dismissed the way i was about my pain etc and just be told nursing is painful and it is engorgement!

The part about pumping that i hate is doing it so often...i actually have cut down...i had been doing it for amost every 2 hours for the first 4-5 weeks.  I try to do it while my little one sleeps but he naps less now so it is hard to pump when he wants to be fed, changed, played with or just cuddled...washing all the parts is no fun too ;)  i started hand expressing and i like it much better...and i think i might be just as good as the pump...only downside is doing one side at a time unlike double pump.

Thanks for the support...i don't want to give up!

And the lanolin has helped a little i think...  
Sounds to me you have a  thrush issue.  
i thought i had thrush but 2 doctors have told me no...this is beyond frustrating!
Went to pediatrician today for son's fussiness...diagnosed both of us with thrush...started medicine tonight...fingers crossed!
I figured that, those symptoms are def thrush.  I had it with my son, it's very hard to get rid of you need to wash everything, throw away all used pacifires, wash and boil all bottles and baby nipples until gone.  Make you use the medicine as perscribed because thrush can come back within hours.  Good luck.

definitely thrush from what you describe.  Can be very hard to treat.  Not all doctors know how to diagnose either.  I have that too, but was told mine was from feeding my baby too much!  Excuse me!

Even now my obe doesn't beleive me (this is after I was diagnosed with vaginal thrush as well) and told me the pain and inflamation (inflammation) (vaginal and breasts) is just stress related.  I took matters in my own hands and I am now on weekly diflucan for the past 3 months and it has been slow, but definitely helps and seems to be getting better.

So be persistent.

Best wishes
Just to add a line for those looking at this later... I found an article about nipple vasospasm: http://www.thewomens.org.au/nipplevasospasm. It sounds like that might be it.