Breastfeeding Community
Sore on nipple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Sore on nipple

I have a sore on my nipple. It is very tender. I have had to stop nursing on my right breast because afterwards I would feel this great stinging, burning sensation all throughout my breast to where it brought me to tears. I think it might be a yeast infeaction, but I don't know. My son, who is 17 weeks, acts normal. He eats, pee's, poops like he always has. The inside of his cheeks or his tounge is not white so I know he doesn't have thrush which is good. This was not a problem for me until my baby got really sick with a cold and only wanted to nurse on the side that now hurts. Ever since then my breast hurts really bad. What should I do? How should I treat the sore on my right breast nipple?
I found the best and fastest way to heal nipple sores are nipple shells. They are bulky and look a bit funny under clothes, but work so well! They are hard shells with big air holes that keep clothing and other materials away from the nipple, while allowing air to circulate and heal them. A little lanolin along with the shells can work even faster. I found that when I had sores, anytime they started to heal, my bra or nursing pad would stick to the wound and open it right back up when I removed it. The nipple shells, available for under $10, prevent this from happening. I have had huge, gaping, bleeding sores heal in 24 hours. In addition, after nursing/pumping, you can dip your nipple into a saline solution to help prevent infection. Just mix some salt into warm water and dip your nipple into it or apply it with a cotton ball. May help soothe and prevent infection.
Is it an open sore, or bright pink or red? Pink or red I would think is the infection of a milk duct; in which you can get a prescription from your doctor and either nursing or expressing the milk after a warm shower or hot clothes will help with the let down.  If is an infection of the duct, it won't affect you son at all, other than he might not choose to nurse on that side as much.  The milk is older, and tastes different. But he is young enough that his taste buds aren't developed and he probably won't even notice.