Breastfeeding Community
Stinging sensations in breasts?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stinging sensations in breasts?

Hi! I'm new to this forum. My daughter is just over 3 weeks and we've had seemingly no problems with breastfeeding. She latched on her own at about 10 minutes old and has been doing pretty good so far.  She eats about every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night. She does seem to nurse better on my left breast than my right, but I'm guessing that's not a big deal.

Due to the inclement weather, I haven't been able to attend any breastfeeding support groups, but I do have a concern about some feelings in my breasts (esp. in my left one).  It is NOT in my nipple area, but in the breast itself and it's this intermittent stinging sensation...almost like an electrical zap that will shoot throughout the breast tissue.  It isn't constant and it's not everyday.  She doesn't have thrush and these feelings aren't unbearably painful, but they are uncomfortable enough for me to be concerned.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
743826_tn?1377895789
I have 3 children. I breastfed the first for a little over a year and the second for almost 4 months. I am currently breastfeeding, my youngest is almost 12 weeks now. The first was born in June and the second in April. The last one was born in December. I had had some stinging/shooting sort of pain off and on earlier on. I do not have it anymore though. I really think it was due to the weather. I noticed whenever I got chills or felt cold/nippy that I would start to feel that pain. I never experienced it with my first 2 which is why I think it had to do with the weather. The weather is crazy in nc, we barely get snow. And the days now, seem warmer than they had been when I was having those pains.
Anyway, just thought maybe that might help somehow...
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
sounds like it might be your let-down. I know I felt something similar when I was nursing, and also while pumping. My breasts would get really hard/heavy at the same time. I would also feel it if something triggered a let-down even when I wasn't nursing/pumping. The sensation actually faded a lot after about 4 months. Some days the sensation was more intense than others. It was strongest with the first let-down, and weaker with subsequent let-downs in that session.
Blank
216278_tn?1308864682
The pain is getting more consistent throughout the day (occurs after feeding) and now there is itching.  I called the lactation consultant and she told me to call my OB right away; that it sounded like 'intraductal infection' (which I think is the same as intraductal yeast infection?? thrush??)

Anyone ever have that? My OB can't see me until tomorrow, but I'm more and more uncomfortable and I am concerned about what I am doing to my little girl. I have so many questions and am so upset....

Any help will be appreciated!
Blank
216278_tn?1308864682
Turns out I have mastitis
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
oh no :(

I had that once. It was awful. My symptoms were different though. Are you feeling any better yet? Did they prescribe you antibiotics?
Blank
216278_tn?1308864682
I am feeling better! I didn't realize that I had a fever :(
Yep, I'm on antibiotics and they recommended warm compresses, which have helped a lot! I've tried to rest more, but gosh it's hard when there's so much to do during her short naps. Luckily, they caught it early so I'm very lucky in that sense. Also, I'm relieved that it wasn't thrush!!!
Thanks for your help :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank