Breastfeeding Community
TTC while Breastfeeding..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

TTC while Breastfeeding..

Hi ladies, My DD is about to be 5 months and is EBF (she is allergic to dairy, I don't want to do formula!).  We are possibly going to start ttc baby number 2 next month.  
Some history... We tried for 3.5 years for Sydney, I had ovarian drilling because I had over 100 cysts, obviously I have PCOS.  We finally conceived on round 5 of follistim and IUI.  
I have been having pain in my ovaries the last few weeks, I have an ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if my cysts have returned, so depending on the results we might be ttc in less than a month.  I know BF can stop ovulation but I never ovulated without meds anyway.  Sydney is down to only one feeding between 10pm and 8 am.  I guess I'm looking for support and maybe success stories instead of an answer to a specific question.  I really do not want to stop BF unless I absolutely have to.  And please don't tell me it's too soon to start trying, I know this, but if we don't we may never have another baby :(.  Thanks in advance :)
When we were ttc my second son we began trying when he was feeding less often at around 9 months.  And it worked because we we pg shortly after.  Good luck.
Ok my phone is crazy...what I meant to say was we waited till my 1st son was around 9 months and feeding less often and we got pg with my second son shortly there after.
I understood what you meant :).  Thanks, most likely we wont get pregnant right away anyway.
I also have PCOS, EBF w dairy allergy and ttc but I think it's a lost cause for me ttc bc 34mths and 1 m:c to have Ellie. What worked was clomid ovadriel and IUI but from what I've read the fertility meds are not compatible w BFing. I don't want to do formula so I'm thinking I'll have to ttc the all natural way and once Ellie is a year old and doesn't need breastmilk so much we can consider our options. But I have an OB appt next month to discuss all this. I want to ttc but not willing to give up breastfeeding to do so. But I totally appreciate wanting to start ttc ASAP when it's such a long journey you want to start right away. Wishing you all the best
I got my period back at 6 months, while EBF my daughter.  

From waht I've read period will come back if you are going all night without breastfeeding.  This may be possible to do if you can pump milk for your baby's nighttime feed and use that instead of bf directly.

For TTC, I guess you should talk with your obe on what meds might be required to make you ovulate and if they are safe for BF.  Otherwise if this really is not an option, it may be necessary to wait until your child is a little older and is taking solids as well as BM.

I am 40 and pregnant with my 2nd (after 18 months of intensive trying - iui and ovulation stimulation, plus several miscarriages).  Hubby still wants another after this one.  So I guess (if I feel up to it), I'll be trying when this new one is 6 months old - or thereabouts.

Best wishes to you.
Hi. I got pregnant while breast feeding and on the mini pill. There's only 11 month between my youngest children. I suppose it was quite out of the ordinary what happened to me but it really is possible to breast feed and fall pregnant. I continued to breast feed my child for around 4 months but then had to stop as my milk became weak. Good luck I hope everything works out well for you.
I have PCOS as well.. I had to use clomid and metformin to get pregnant with my daughter after 9months of trying.      I am NOT TTC, but then again I am not on any form of BC besides condoms to keep from falling pregnant. I exclusively breast feed and got my cycle without any med's at 6months post partum.

The current baby I am talking about is my second, my first baby is now 4 and was a miracle conception without any fertility.

Good luck girl, just keep trying and keep feeding- I wish you all the luck!!
Thanks everyone, I'm glad i'm not alone at this :).   Super sally- that's a good idea, to give her pumped milk at night, I might try that.  She has been sleeping from 10p to 5am lately but who knows how long it will last.  We did start her on solids twice a day so maybe that will help also.  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  
You said you would like us to share our stories so I’ll gladly tell you mine! You can tell from my profile picture that I was breastfeeding while pregnant so there is one success story. Haha I wish you the best of luck TTC. It may definitely be harder since according to LAM, you only have a 2% chance of getting pregnant if you are exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months and if your period has not returned.  After 6 months (when you start introducing solids) your chances of becoming pg will be much greater. I hope this helps and I hope you will be seeing two lines on a pee stick soon. :)
I'm excited to hear after six months chances increase. I better get busy ;)