Breastfeeding Community
This is new.....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

This is new.....

Last night about 11pm my 16 day old baby had a decent feed (lasted about 35-40 minutes in total) and slept until 2am.  Since he woke up at 2 it has been a whole different world for us. He is only feeding about 10 minutes at a time, falls asleep on the breast and within 20 -40 minutes of putting him down wakes up crying.  The only thing that soothes him is the breast, but again only for 10 minutes or so, falling asleep again on the breast.  I looked this up and it sounds like he might be having a growth spurt.  There is not a thing wrong with him...no fever, good and frequent bowel movements, certainly no problem breathing or anything,  and not uncontrollable crying...he settles down as soon as I offer him the breast.  I am wondering how long these growth spurts typically last...and does it sound to you like this is what is happening?  As always I appreciate the info and your experiences.
yea, sounds like a growth spurt to me.

try feeding him until he falls asleep, and the changing his diaper to wake him enough to take a bit from the other side as well. This may or may not help. but if he gets a bit more of a feed into him, he may sleep longer.

Honestly, sometimes I would just let her sleep on me for a while. Long enough to get a good nap in so she'd wake up hungry and alert enough to take a bigger feed to get them spaced a little more. Again, sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. But know that this is normal and should last only a few days.
yes this is the exact time addy did this.  dh had just left for the ship for 2 weeks and i remember crying while nursing addy because she would do that ALL night long. lol somehow we survive!

seems like she did it again several weeks later.  mil came for xmas and was getting frustrated how addy kept wanting the boob.  she was like "she CANT be hungry again!" because she wanted to hold her.  i smiled and laughed and said something that shut her up for a bit lol.  

im still waiting for that big growth spurt, she is still just 22-23 lbs!!!
I had this problem and it was becasue I had too much milk so by him feeding only 10 min he did not get the hind milk and only the formilk. THe hind milk is fattier and the formilk is thinner and less filling. So I started about around 2 weeks only feeding from one side a t a time and boy did it work! I did this with all mine and they were all fat:) But of course they would eat sooner and linger when they wne thtrough a growth spurt. SInce he is not feeding longer I would say it is not nessisarily a groth spurt and maybe more formilk. He should only do this for like 2-3 days if it is a growth spurt.

I have nursed 3 and tandum nursed the last two. I nursed all mine till age two about there