Breastfeeding Community
Tongue ties and low milk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Tongue ties and low milk

My baby is tongue tied so nursing is very painful but I have been doing it with my eye on the prize (frenulum surgery) but my question is this: I pump an all time max of 1 oz combined from both breasts. I just started fenugreek and drinking mothers milk tea and increasing liquids. Ultimatly I do not want to put my week old baby through surgery if I will not make enough milk to feed her. Any ideas? I am getting wet/dirty diapers but she's always hungry and doesn't sleep well (like when given a bottle) but with the bottle she can only eat 1oz or she spits it all up like projectile spit up almost an hour after eating.
My second son had/has this problem.  The drs kept telling me he was gonna have to have surgery to nurse and he was going to have trouble talking.  I refused to do surgery and took a wait and see approach and after a few weeks, he was able to latch good and never had a problem with speech ever.  He's 8 now and never shuts up! Lol  maybe we are just an exception and got lucky.  Try different positions and work on making sure your little one has a good latch.  Get a lactation consultant to observe your nursing session and see if they have any tips. Hope things get better, maybe others will have some better suggestions too.  Good luck.
My LC was disappointed that they didn't just snip my little one in the hospital. The younger they are, the simpler the procedure. I was able to get her to nurse in the football hold, but that was it. As she got bigger, this became problematic. Eventually we had to stop nursing because of very severe colic and reflux, so I never got her clipped. But hers is type 3/4- she can extend her tongue out but seems to have restricted verticle movement. I was able to pump enough milk for her. If you are going the pumping route, you will have to pump about every 2-3 hours for 10-15 minutes to build up your supply. Make sure you have a good hospital grade pump (I'm a fan of the medela pump in styles).

It depends on the type and severity of her tongue tie. If it is interfering even with bottle feeding, then you may have to get it done. I also had a student a year ago who did not have it done as a baby. His speech was severely affected and the poor boy couldn't stick his tongue out at all (I noticed when we had ice pops).

If I were you, I would have a good lactation consultant observe an entire session. She may be able to give you more insight in to whether or not it is the tongue tie that is interfering with the nursing. Try to do this as soon as possible, as the longer you go with poor nursing and giving bottles, the harder it will be to maintain your supply and get a good latch- not impossible, but it may be harder. Good luck and congrats on your little one! Hope things get easier
it is early days at just 1 week.  ! oz at a time is not so unusual this early.
Breast feed her dirctly - skin to skin as often as possible. Pump after each feed to further stimulate your breasts. Do breast compressions to help get milk out.

Ask your doctor about motilium (domperidone - it is used to increase milk), My dr prescribed it for me.  My baby is 10 days old now.  It ius just the past few days that my milk is really increasing - and today was the first time i leaked....

It is normal for them to be super hungry at this time, and to feed what feels like all the time.

It also takes a couple of weeks for your boobs to get accustomed to baby feeding.  Mine are stiill so sore - though they're not bleeding any more.
Just a few more things (I was pumping while I was writing):-

what you can pump is not necessarily the same as what baby gets.  If baby is drinking max of 1 oz per feed and your boobs produce that then she will get tha (probably more)t if you feed her from both sides.

Try to rest as much as possible (yes, it really helps), and keep your baby skin to skin (ie/ put her on your chest) when you are resting / watching Tv etc.  The skin top skin stimulates your pituitary and hormones to increase milk supply.
You can also have it done via laser which is quick easy painless
It sounds like you are a really good mother. You’re putting up w/ a lot of pain and trying everything to make sure your baby can be fed the best… Breastmilk.
To keep your milk supply going w/out a proper latch, you might have to try more than just pumping. I love pumps, there are great things about them, but they don’t supply BOTH hormones that you need to maintain supply. Using hand expression, compression while pumping and breast massage will help you keep up oxytocin levels as well as prolactin.
Try power expressing.

Start w/ massage (5 mins) hand express (5 mins) pump (5 mins) leave breast alone (5 mins) repeat (massage, hand, pump) repeat at least every 2 hours to trick your body into frequency of nursing.
You’re doing the right thing sister. Keep your eye on the prize. (and the surgery has more benefits than just BF) :) You're going to do great though. Keep up the good work!