Breastfeeding Community
Vent: supply still not building back up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Vent: supply still not building back up

I guess, BFing isnt meant to be again. I havent had a let down in 3 weeks now. breast dont feel full, but i am able to hand express like 10 ml out, but thats it. Im eating steel cut oatmeal like crazy, taking the fenugreek tablets and drinking the mothers milk tea , pumping every half hour and basicly keeping baby attatched to my boobs when im not pumping and taking prenatal viatimins, but its not doing any good. AF returned today at 9 weeks pp. I've always heard women who were breastfed never had any problems bfing their kids, but i guess  the people who told me that were wrong, because i cant. I just want to give up. I do have a little bit of a stash but it wont last long. I feel like such a failure. its been 2 weeks shouldnt i have seen a little bit more of a increase?
Be patient. Some women (me included) need some time in the beginning to get the milk going. Don't give up now. Around 3 months, I started having more milk supply. Good luck, you are doing the right thing even though Bf every 30 min is maybe too much?
You won't always feel yourself let down. I never felt when I did. As your milk supply gets adjusted you also won't feel full all the time. What makes you suspect you have a low supply? Does baby have good output in diapers, such as enough dirty/wet diapers. Is she still fussy after you feed her? Or do you feed her and then try to pump extra---I know I also could never do that either. She ate too much and too often for me to try, so I gave up.
enolia, yeah it might be a little too much, but im just that determined. and thank you.

Clysta, abby is half formula  fed, the special neosure for preemies. I feed her a bottle after about 15-20 mins of bfing, because she still giving her hunger cues,  then i pump. pumping doesnt bring anything down like it used too, i was able to pump 2- 2/12 oz per breast, now theres just nothing being pumped out. even if i pump first thing in the morning, before the baby wakes up. i'm just so frusterated, its soo hard to take care of a clingy/jealous 4 year old and a baby who i really want to bf. DH said if i let him ahold of my boobs for about 3 days he said he would deff get my supply back up. but i dont know, it just grosses me out because they are BOTTLES right now. How do you ladies go between your breasts being for baby and your dh wanting them for other purposes?
I can't really give much advice on the last question. When I was BFing, breasts became a different thing for my husband---and he was a huge breast man before I got pregnant and fed her as well. To him, they weren't anything sexual anymore. After I stopped feeding though, things went back to normal and he got interested in them again. Some men however are turned on by BFing and the such. There have been ladies on here who have said their husbands actually want to drink it. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

As for the formula/BF- I can't help too much with that either. I've never heard of where a baby HAS to be on formula, as BM is so much better than formula is. Kinda sounds backwards to me, but I'm also not a doctor either. I would definitely call around to any LC, LLL and anyone else you know that has BF and see what all they say. It might be in your best interests to actually just stop.
Im working with a LC, i see  her everytime i have a wic appointment. if i could totally EBF then i would take her off the formula against the neonatal specialists' orders lol. anyways at this point im willing to do anything, even if that means letting my dh do whatever  he wants to with them.
A Canadian friend of mine was Rx'ed a pill called Domperidone that she says is to increase the breast-milk supply.  I don't know anything more about it than that, but she says it is prescribed in Canada.  You might look it up and see if that information is correct, and if so, talk to your doctor about whether it can be prescribed for you.
It can be very difficult with a nicu baby. I had the same experience with my first, very often they just don't have the ability to s.uck and draw milk from the breast like a full term baby could. AnnieBrooke is correct there are meds that can help, but my experience was that my doc wouldn't order them becasue the baby was preemie and didn't want any meds in my system regardless of how "safe" they were deemed to be, your doc may have a different take on things though.
Contine with your efforts to nurse and pump and know that every little bit of breastmilk, no matter how small, you can provide will have given your baby an advantage.
I think, the pump im using isnt that good even though its a hospital grade electric pupm, its a medela lactina plus on loan for the helth department. And i think my babys suck isnt quite strong enough yet, because i finally gave in to DH and he said i was making plenty, enough for him to get a really good mouth full. colud i have  partcially plugged ducts in my breasts? they are feeling fuller now too, but still am not able to pump anything out.
I would encorage you to get a better hospital grade pump.. when I was having trouble, my pediatrician told me to exclusivly pump for a few days so you can see the in-take. I know it is not ideal. I did this experiement, I was still pumping 6-8x a day plus nursing my daughter in the mornings 3-5x when I was home from work. I was lucky to make 22oz max in one day- it feels like you're not doing enough and it's stressful and very difficult. DO NOT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU TO QUIT especially if you're dedicated to do this, YOU CAN do this.

I do not have a premie baby, but my daughter is 5months old tomorrow and we're now exclusively breastfeeding (no nipple sheild, which we started with), formula only in emergencies if were out in public and have no where to go or if she is with a relative and my supply is out, I only pump 4x a day when I work and the rest of the time- it is all her. Mind you my daughter was born with a rare birth defect that causing a recessed jaw, loss of jaw muscles and nerves. I had tons of people telling me just to give up and quit cause she wasnt eating enough or gaining fast enoug. But she was doing everything right, enough diapers and active. The birth defect has been even more of a drive for me to keep going.

You're baby could be just to small and weak to get the milk to empty out. I think it is great you're still putting her to breast that will help the hormones restimulate milk supply. As for the pumping.. I wouldnt pump unless it's been 2hrs from the last time you started feeding or pumping. You have to give your body time to regenerate it or you wont get much.
How premature was your baby- that too can play a roll, with the pregnancy hormones regulating, etc. I still have not had a cycle (probably cause of the hormones & mixed with my PCOS).

I have fought to BF the whole way, it didnt work last time, so I am determined this time. I have taken the fenugreek pills, special blend pills and liquid, oat meal, everything- it you feel it isnt working, change it up 'Shell Shock' your body with a new combo.

I hope this helps, you're doing a great thing! Keep it up.        Caralea
The hospital grade pump you are using should work well but there are a few things you need to check to make sure it is working the best it can; the small white membranes on your pumping sets might need changing, these do wear out and are very fragile; the slightest defect (even unseen to the eye) will stop the suction from working properly, try with a new set of these. Rub a little olive oil or breast milk around your breast before putting the pumping horns on your breast, it will create a better vacuum. Try with different settings on the pump, for me it worked best if I started out with the suction fairly low and the cycle fairly fast until I got a let down, then I would have the cycle really slow and the suction about 3/4 of the maximum to get long drawn out pumps that drew the most milk out. It may be different for you but play around and see what is best, most people I have heard struggling with there pump have both the suction and cycle on high  thinking this will help but this is not necessarily the most effective.
To help increase your supply you could "power pump" mimicking a bay's feeding patterns during a growth spurt; a couple of times a day spend an hour (if you can) pumping for 10 minutes, resting for 10 minutes, pumping for ten minutes etc; you won't necessarily get a lot of milk but you will signal to your body to make more milk.
Your baby will probably have got used to a bottle too, contact a lactation consultant, ask if they can show you how to finger tube feed or teach you how to use a supplemental nurser if you want to get your baby back to the breast.

Good luck
she was born at 32 weeks, she now full term as of may 23rd. I just finished my first af sense i had her. i think im starting to make a little more now. I pumped a total of 2 oz yeasterday and this was with nursing all day .
there isnt any different settings on my pump, only min-max. its nothing like the medela symphony. That maybe one of my problems, is straight off setting it on max lol.
You might have seen a drop due to your period. I had one cycle at 5 months when I went from pumping full time to breastfeeding full time. I had a huge drop in supply so much that my baby was screaming because she couldn't get anything out of my breast.

Once my cycle was over the next day I was back to full breasts and over supply leaking at night. Hope it was just due to your AF.

I would try pumping on medium. LLL leaders have told me never to put the pump on max.
I also had a huge drop in supply right before my period.
I was also told to never put the pump on a high setting.

Glad to hear things have a improved a bit! Must be a relief to see a result after all of your hard work.
Keep in mind that you cannot use how much you get from the pump to determine how much your baby is getting.  I have never gotten much from the pump. I have been pumping since I started working (about 5 months now) and it is a really good session if I get 4.5 ounces from both breasts - usually it ranges from 2.5  -4 - and yes, like the others have mentioned, before my period, it is as low as 1.5.  And, I never feel letdowns. But despite these facts, my son is at the 95% for height and 75% for weight, so he must be eating plenty when on the breast. I know it is hard and many times I wish there was a way we could tell how much they were actually getting at each feeding.  My advise is to worry about pumping less and try to breastfeed as often as you can.  And, if you ever have to supplement, you are so not a failure. Breastfeeding is really, really hard - it was much harder than I expected.  But it is also so worth it.  Hang in there.

Domperidione is harder to get in the states - many OB's will not prescribe it and if you are lucky enough to get a prescription, most insurance companies do not cover it and it is expensive.
Thank you all for your support and help. Im def doing a lot better now. hopeing in another week or 2 i will be able to totally ebf. I've started having let downs every time i pump and every time i nurse and also am having let downs when ever i hold her, especially when shes in the carrier while im cleaning. Im SOOO happy :). Every time i pump now I get over an ounce each. And im nursing from about 6 am until i get up at about 9 or 9 30 am, i think she mostly uses it as a paci lol.

My only problem is now i need to cut back on the sodas, even though i know shes getting a pretty good amount shes getting dehdrated alot. Ive been giving her a little water, as well as shes still getting a few bottles of formula. but all in all everything is going great now.

Oh one more question, i need to get a pump the health department is calling wanting me to return theirs. I can only spend $50 on one, am looking on ebay but honestly dont know anything about pumps.  i can only spend $50 total.
Some soda in your diet shouldn't effect her too much, unless you are getting too much caffeine. And avoid diet soda, as the chemicals in that are bad for both you and baby.

What makes you think she's getting dehydrated? Since both milk and formula are mostly water, you probably don't need to give her water yet. Water can actually be dangerous for such a little one.

If you buy a pump off of ebay, consider that you will also need to buy new accessories (tubing, horns, connectors, etc) since anything that comes in contact with the milk should ideally be replaced if you buy a pump second-hand. That may bump up the cost a bit.

From what I have read, all of the cheap electric pumps are not very good. But then again, I haven't pump shopped in a few years. I do know that I really did like my medela Harmony, which is actually a manual pump. I wouldn't recommend it to an exclusive pumper as a primary pump, but it may work good for someone just doing a little extra pumping on top of nursing. It's very portable and efficient. It is a manual, but only requires 1 hand. It does only do 1 side at a time, but I found that it emptied me twice as fast as my Pump in Style (so total time was the same). And it's only about $35. It was handy for pumping as I entertained the baby (1 hand free to play with baby). It was also great to toss in my purse or diaper bag, along with a small bottle. That way, not matter where I was, I could duck into a quiet place and have a bottle ready for baby in minutes. Also, Medela customer service is great- any parts break and they ship a replacement piece immediately at no cost.

Sorry I can't personally recommend a cheap electric pump- perhaps someone else can?
ker pee has been stinking really badly, and also her soft spot has sunk in whitch gets better after a couple ounces of water. I drink about 4 12 oz cans of mountain dew a day. gotta have it for breakfast, with my lunch, with supper and one before i got to bed.

I have the harmony the hospital gave it to me with my first its 4 years old but still works pretty good. I have all the parts for a medela pump, the hospital gave me 2 complete kits, one i kept at the hospital and one for at home. so really i i would need to buy is the pump. I found a The first years douple pump for about $60, and a pump in style for $55. thinking of trying the first years one.
also her doctor recomended giving her some water, because her stools was dry.